Didn't know Mustangs had cradles--bad news. :-(

Took my wrecked '96 GT into a local tire/alignment shop a few days ago. They told me the cradle is pushed back. I looked under the car and bolts have shifted in the cradle. You can put five fingers in between the front of the tire and fender and only two or three fingers between the rear of the tire and fender. Nice big gap in there!

They suggested a good body shop for my car. I'm waiting for the insurance claims dept. to contact me and set up an appointment. My questions is, though, what can a body shop do that an alignment shop can't concerning the front end?

It's amazing there was no body/paint damage. There is a slight scrape on the hood, but nothing I can really complain about, I guess.

The rim is bowed out a bit, but other than that I don't think it's out of round. I already replaced the damaged rim, so at least I got a spare now! ;-)

I can drive the car. But there is a bumping with every rotation of the tires. Why? I replaced the damaged rim and tire and had the driver's side tire checked (it did not impact the curb) for flat spots from the skid and it was okay. What could it be?

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson

"C. Olofsson" wrote in news:809rb.15138$mb5.4500@fed1read02:

They can check the integrity/alignment of the unibody itself and tell you what needs to be done.

Something could be rubbing, or the driver's side wheel/tire could be fubar. Again, take the car to a body shop that has a frame straightener and have them check it out. They'll be able to tell you if anything has been twisted out of spec. HTH.

Joe

The body shop has what is called a frame rack..... mounting points to tie the car to the rack, others to allow pushing and pulling pieces back into proper juxtaposition and still other points for measuring to "landmarks" to determine if things are as they should be.

Think of it this way.... the frame shop makes sure that the "basement" is in good shape and square.... after that, the alignment shop can make sure the wheels are pointong in the right direction.

Until it's fixed, I would suggest to avoid driving it...

Jim Warman

Thanks, Joe and Jim. I understand what body shops do frame wise, but they told me it was only the front end, which is why I asked.

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

C. Olofsson

Hey Cindy, remember when you first posted about this, and I told you to take it to a body shop and have them put it up on the rack?

Can you hear me now?

Kate

| > Think of it this way.... the frame shop makes sure that the "basement" is | in | > good shape and square.... after that, the alignment shop can make sure the | > wheels are pointong in the right direction. | >

| > Until it's fixed, I would suggest to avoid driving it... | >

| > -- | > Jim Warman | > snipped-for-privacy@telusplanet.net | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

On what basis did "they" say it was only the front end? Sounds fishy to me. Get the car up on a frame rack and have them show you the printout for the unibody alignment.

"SVTKate" wrote in news:0eerb.2$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
Joe

That's exactly what I am going to do next week. The insurance company sent an idiot here a couple days ago, but all he did was look at the car, no lifting at all! Sent an estimate for $614 to repair my car, including a two wheel alignment, wheel and tire replacement?!?! How can they be so stupid? If I hadn't gone to a reputable shop, and taken the adjuster's word for it, god knows what would have happened to my car.

So...there my car sits in the garage, for I don't know how long... :-( Glad we bought another car today!

Reply to
C. Olofsson

"C. Olofsson" wrote in news:Meirb.16000$mb5.11898@fed1read02:

He was just being lazy. All you have to do is call the company and tell them you have every reason to suspect that there could be frame/unibody damage, and you'd like to have that confirmed. Especially after you noticed the front cradle being out of whack. If they don't comply, then do it out of pocket and (a) do the 'I told you so' thing with them if it's bent, or (b) get peace of mind knowing that the unibody's ok.

Always good to get a 2nd opinon if you have doubts with the 1st.

So what'd you get?

Joe

Oh, nothing very exciting, just a 2001 Honda Civic LX. We have been looking and looking for weeks now as my husband got his old job back and we simply couldn't get by with just one car even if we tried. Eventually we agreed on a Honda, but which one?! A used Accord was first on the list as we had one before, but that didn't turn out and we couldn't afford a new car that we both liked.

The Civic is a peppy little thing! I like it, but it lacks personality. ;-) Accord would have been much more to my liking, but power-wise the Civic, since it's so small, feels the same. It's surprisingly roomy inside, too! And it holds its resale value very well.

I got really used to Honda quality with our '96. The second you sit down in a Honda, you can feel the difference; less rattles, sturdy construction, and fine aesthectics. I can actually understand why kids modify them.

But you know what? While driving the Civic for a day, I still didn't feel comfortable. I felt...out of place. In fact, I don't think I could feel comfortable driving ANY other car than a Mustang now. I didn't think I was that hooked on Mustangs, but I guess I am. Maybe a BMW (our next car) would suit me better. Econoboxes just don't do it for me, but then the Civic won't be my car either. My husband doesn't care what he drives as long as it isn't more than ten years old.

Reply to
C. Olofsson

"C. Olofsson" wrote in news:_Jtrb.19574$mb5.15071@fed1read02:

been

At least you didn't consider an Element. That thing's battling the Aztec for worst looking vehicle on the road.

Hondas are great cars. My parents are on their 2nd one, and they're very nice. Real precise, pretty good build quality.

They're the standard nowadays.

didn't

Maybe

years

My LX fits me like an old pair of shoes. It's _so_ comfortable. But the truck is great, too. The torquemonster! Each has its strengths and weaknesses, but they're both a blast to drive. That's what counts IMO.

Sounds

show

Reply to
Joe