Difference between C4 and FMX??

Any appreciable differences between these two trannies? I have an FMX in the '69 that doesn't seem to have anything wrong with it, but I have a rebuilt C4 with a TransGo shift kit that I know is ready to run. I'm not sure whether it's worth yanking the FMX to put in the C4. The Motor is already out so that's makes it easier if I do swap them.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

FMX is based on the old Borg Warner trans from the 50's ( Studebaker, Packard etc used them) and has an iron case the C4 is all aluminum case. C4 has less parasitic loss and is lighter and perf parts are easier to get. The FMX is warhorse but doesn't have much aftermarket support. IIRC one good thing is your '69 with an FMX has the neutral start switch in the shifter so you don't need to get one on the C4. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

parasitic loss and is

Any difference in length of the tailhousing? Can I use the driveshaft "as is" or will I need to have it shortened?

Reply to
66 6F HCS

If you are planning to put the C4 behind a W stroker, be darn sure it has more than just a shift kit.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

"CobraJet" wrote

The pulled W was trash. .060"OB, thrust bearings with 1/8" play and worn to the copper and the crank scored all over. 4 cam lobes wiped out. Thinking maybe whoever put this together either didn't get the torque converter on right and was forcing the crank against the bearings, and/or quite possibly the moron didn't lube the cam when he slid it in and all the shavings destroyed everything below it. I'm not sure doing this block is worth it. I was thinking it was a .030 OB. Plus the block is a D9 not a C9 and the heads are D0, not the famous C9 351W's. I'm thinking of pulling the motor I just dropped into the 'Chero and putting it into the 'Stang. It's done right even though it's a 302/310 and 2/3 the HP of the 351W. It would be a lot cheaper to do this than to build a whole other block, especially since I don't particularly need the 'Chero.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

OK, *now* you can start looking for a 390.

BTW, what is it that the D0's have diff than the C9's?

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

"CobraJet" wrote

heh

AFAIK, and from what I've been told in the past, the D0 and later heads were the exact same head that was put on the 302's, whereas the C9 351W head was a 1 year only beast cast specifically for the 351W. It sported larger valves, but I'm not sure of other factory mods away from the 302 head. It was just cheaper for Ford to bolt on the 302 head instead of having a different head for the 351's, which explains the 1 year only status. From my research there was no difference between the 4V and the 2V Windsor setup, as opposed to the Cleveland's.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Don't know if this is 100% correct or not, but my book says the 351 and 302 started sharing heads in 1977. The 1969 (C9) and 1970 (D0) heads are almost

100% identical. The only difference I've been able to find is that the combustion chamber on the 70 model is 2cc larger. valves are both 1.84 and 1.54 Intake ports are both 1.76 x 1.94 and exhaust ports are 0.96 x 1.24
Reply to
Jimz466

"Jimz466" wrote

What were the combustion chamber sizes? Do you have access to flow specs or runner volumes?

Reply to
66 6F HCS

That would be calendar year '77 for the '78 model run, D8 heads. There are no D7's AFAIK.

Yes, this is what I've believed over the years.

"Possibly", what you read is the allowable cc variance. Monroe's book shows all pre-'78 heads at 60.4 cc's. However, Ford's OHO book shows 58.9 to 61.9 production variance. Valve sizes are the same until the D8's, which reverted to 302 size with 69 cc chambers. Stroker-wise, the D8's might work with 302 flat tops and 190/160 valves.

As a further, there are two passenger D0 casting numbers and a D0TE truck casting. These were used until the D5 ('75-'77) heads, which had the air injection inlet at one end of each head for the smog pump lines. I'm guessing here that the air passage may have compromised the exhaust flow, making those castings no good for porting. The guy who built the W up in my '76 van (previous owner was an engine builder and Cobra Jet racer at one time) switched to C9 heads, even though there was no port work done.

Piston compression height is 1.60" for a 302 and 1.739" for the

351W, with specified nominal deck clearance at .016" and .035", respectively.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet