Difference between pre 2005 and later? Purchasing advice needed!

Hello all! I am considering a 2005+ Mustang vert with a V6 or possibly a hard top GT. I can afford either the vert or the GT but not a GT Vert :(

I have been scoping out the dealers and they seem to have no shortage of any of these cars which leads me to believe that price may be negotiable despite the popularity of these cars?

One dealer has to have at least 20 Rousche models in stock, which seem like a ripoff to me but what do I know?

So anyhow, I was also considering a pre-2005 car although I love the retro look of the 05/06 models.

So my question is, as I understand it, the V8 is little changed from 04 but the V6 is entirely new and not the old 3.8 disaster that Ford used in the Taurus and older T-birds? (Head gasket woes)

Is this correct?

As is usually the case when the body style changes, the pre-05 models have dropped a lot in price on the used market.

Is there any reason not to buy one of these, say the 40th anniversary model (if I can find one) ?

FWIW I drove a rental 2006 V6 vert a couple of months ago and was extremely impressed by the car. Smooth, fast and a lot of fun to drive!

Would a 2004 Vert V8 be similar or are am I comparing apples and oranges?

TIA!

(BTW what is this Rousche thing?)

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Carlsen

I agree. Not enough bang for the buck for me.

True. The V8 is little changed. Still an excellent motor. The 4L V6 is a vast improvement over the 2004's. The rated power is pretty good. With a simple computer tune you can pick up more ponies. Add a blower and some long tube headers and it will outperform a stock GT.

No reason not to. I don't particularly like the styling, so I wouldn't. The '04 V8 is an excellent car.

I rented on last fall and put about 1500 miles on it. Nice car. Good power for auto and 25mpg. Love the styling.

Apples and oranges. The engine and trans are essentially the same. The rest of the car is completly differant.

Reply to
.boB

Reply to
whoeva

Well, new... only in that it is a return to the Mustang(last used in

1978). This SOHC 4.0 V-6 is the final incarnation of the 2.8 Mustang II / Capri II pushrod V-6, to be phased out in 2007-2008.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I agree... I love my little 6... hehehehe... I basically pushed it to it's limit with a 125HP shot of Nitrous and broke the ring landing on a piston... We've now installed a lightly used 4.0L (less than 5000 miles on it!) and replaced the N20 with a Vortech SC... The car is now putting down over 300RWHP! While I haven't had a chance to take the Vortech to the track everything so far tells me the car will still be LOW 13's... possible very high 12s...

You can check it out at

Also my car is featured in the August issue of Modified Mustang! LOL! One thing I hope I made clear in the article is the 05+ V6 Mustang is not like those old rental dogs of days gone by! LOL!

Reply to
John S.

Reply to
Tony Alonso

Ding Ding, We have a winner. The 2005 body structure is 31 percent stiffer in torsional rigidity than the

2004.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

I haven't seen many comments on the new rear suspension. I wonder what customers (not Ford or magazines) think of it vs the previous design. The way Ford talked it up prior to intro, you'd think its as good as an IRS. Is it? Isn't it similar to the last of the Camarobird hardware? Seems like that was always talked about as superior to the Mustang's quad control arm setup at the time.

Reply to
HerkyJerky