Difficulty getting into reverse

Hi folks, My wife has a '05 Mustang with the 4.6 engine and a 5 speed transmission with 27,000 miles. She is having increasing difficulty getting it into reverse. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Esteban

More or less, they all do this. Just put it into a forward gear and let the clutch out just enuff so that it begins to engage. You don't need to actually move the car forward. Then it will go into reverse easily.

Reply to
Mort Guffman

Something that worked in every such circumstance I ever came across was to fake out the synchronizers: With the clutch in, pull the gear lever to the edge of engagement in the second gear slot. Not into the slot, but where resistance can be felt. Once the minor pressure on all those whirling things has done its magic, (usually) the rotating stuff is well-enough aligned to allow any gear to be selected without problems.

Reply to
Frank ess

Ditto what the others said.. except if Reverse is below 5th, just push in clutch, then shift into 5th then down into reverse. Clutch need not be let out between 5th and R

It becomes habit very quickly.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Hi folks, sorry for the delay in answering. Among other things, my computer has had a bad week also. I've tried all your suggestions and nothing seems to work. The car is still under warranty, so I will make an appointment at our local dealership. Thanks for all the help. Steve

Reply to
Esteban

My variation of what is already being suggested. If reverse will not slip in, I put it into first, then reverse. Never fails. First and reverse are the same gears with the exception of the "reversing" cog.

Reply to
columbotrek

05? 27k? should still be under warranty.. Get it back to the dealer to be fixed before the warranty expires...
Reply to
Tony

Thanks for the suggestion Tony...I now have an appointment Thursday. I'll let everyone know how it comes out. Steve

Reply to
Esteban

Update: The local dealership had the car all day. The service writer said they drove the car and couldn't find any problem getting it into reverse. He assured my wife they would contact Ford to see if anyone else had a similar problem She signed the warantee papers and thanked him for his time and trouble. She started the car to leave and had to use both hands to get it into reverse. She drove to the walk in door of the shop and parked as close as she could, walked up to the service writer with fire blowing outta' her azz and requested help getting the tranny into reverse. He then noticed there may be a problem and promised to contact Ford tomorrow. Once the shifter is manhandled into reverse, it goes in easy after that. The saga continues. I will continue with the updates. Thanks for all the comments and being good listners. Steve

Reply to
Esteban

Hmm, I bet that was a pretty picture. I had the "assfire" myself when the service mgr at my Nissan dealer told me in no uncertain terms he was not going to fix the peeling paint problem on my steering wheel.

At least she managed to demonstrate it to them. I just can't wait for the confrontation when I try to tell that same service dept. about how my backup alarm goes solid when the temp is below 38 degrees, but not ALL the time. 38 degrees or below; in South Louisiana. Yeah, that'll be easy to reproduce.

Reply to
WindsorFox

LOL, I wish you well Winsor Fox. You may have to meet your service rep. at a referigated warehouse. Steve

Reply to
Esteban