Disabling Traction Control

Yes, I know you can push the button, but I was wondering if there might be some easy way of deabling the traction control permanently cause I forget sometimes.

Maybe there is a fuse I could pull.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

Dunno about 'easy', but here's something you can do for it:

Saw the link on the IMBOC board. I'm sure there are others out there, but this'll get you started.

Reply to
RayS

Thanks, much appreciated,

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Perfect. My specs say 350 hp, but the butt dyno says 400. I couldn't be happier.

It took me a little trouble and research getting the octane right. Kenne Bell tells me that they have had some complaints of CA customers that have detonation. Their solution is to send them a 1 size smaller pulley, but it's just a matter of getting the octane right.

I updated my octane page to help people with this, just go to

click on the gas station guy to see what I have to say about this. Thanks for your interest,

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

FWIW...if you don't permenantly disable it be darn sure to disable it if you ever have to pull out on to a busy road from a side road with gravel or dirt on it. Nothing like having that green traction control light come on the dashboard while the car sputters and stalls as that

18 wheeler comes barreling down on you full bore. Sure makes my day.
Reply to
Barrett

Traction Control doesn't create traction.

Neither does turning it off.

In your example, turning Traction Control "off" would be far, far worse. With it "off", you would just sit their with your rear tires spinning in the loose gravel or dirt, and your Mustang will be going nowhere fast.

At least with Traction Control "on", the computer will apply just the maximum amount of power possible, and will get your Mustang moving as quickly as possible. Remember, Traction Control "on" or "off" will not magically turn the loose gravel or dirt into the equivalent of dry, hard pavement.

BTW, Tracti> FWIW...if you don't permenantly disable it be darn sure to disable it

Reply to
Walt

The rear wheels will only "sit there spinning in the gravel" if one doesn't know how to modulate the gas pedal.

I was pulling out of gravel onto a fast-paced highway, and had forgotten to turn off the traction control. The control engaged and the car sputtered, and did not recover for (what seemed like) a few seconds. I thought I was in big trouble. Fortunately, I had enough time to get out of it.

Now, when I'm at that same spot, I make sure traction control is OFF, and it's easy to get through the slippery stuff, and is MUCH more controllable (in my opinion).

Bob '03 Cobra coupe

Reply to
Bob

I disagree - to me the traction control feature makes for a less controlled vehicle because you cannot predict how it will react.

This morning I forgot to turn it off (usually part of my starting the car ritual) and left out of a side street into traffic. The car bogged down and lost power, but it was much more dangerous that way in that situation - if I had started to spin and go sideways, I at least would have been able to use the throttle to gain control.

Reply to
Christopher Shea

I suppose.. if you don't mind having the computer knocking the knees right out from under your pony when you want to accelerate in a hurry...

Geeze.. IF you can DRIVE WORTH A SHIT you aren't going to be breaking traction, and who the HELL is gonna be doing burnouts on a gravel road in a Mustang? No one that cares about their car.

It's all about having control of your vehicle without someopne's idea of a safety feature interfering with your driving style.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Walt, In the case of say pulling out of a gravel road...some spin is almost unavoidable. The problem occures when the car senses one well spinning and first tries the move torque to the wheel that is not spinning at the time, this causes that wheel to spin which moves the Traction Control to the next level which is to begin shutting off the spark to some of the plugs which causes the car to sputter.

I'm not the best driver in the world, but I can work much better in this situation than the Traction Control is tying to do. I am trying to figure out just where Traction Control really is beneficial. I suspect in some wet and rainy situations it might help, I just don't know.

Reply to
Barrett

It could be if it wasn't for the shitty traction control implementation that Ford did on the Mustang. There's a huge gap between losing traction the way Ford cuts of the power to the engine. remember, this was added in 99 to a car that was going to be replaced in 05. Not worth pumping in tons of R&D.

Rein

My traction control on my 99 works just fine. If the wheels spin excessively it cuts power/applies braking but never enough to be a safety problem as far as continuing to drive thru whatever the maneuver is.

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

It can be dangerous in some situations. You expect the car to hook up as usual, after a bit of spin and then....no power. While the 18 wheeler rear ends you. :)

-Rich

Reply to
Richard