Disconnecting the Battery

I am putting my Mustang away for the winter for the first time, and I need to know if it is okay to disconnect the batter. I have a 1999 Mustang GT, and I would like to find out if I disconnect the battery will it screw up the __security system/radio__?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

It won't "screw" up anything that won't fix itself after a few miles of driving. You will lose your radio station presets, though. However, I would just leave it connected and buy a decent battery tender type device and leave it on for the winter. This will keep everyting fine and keep the battery at a float charge for the winter. Remember if you disconnect the battery you are still going to half to go out and charge it every few weeks if you want to keep it in good shape. We do it with about 10 race cars here and they work fine. (Of course we have no radio station presets.

Jim SR Racing

Reply to
Jim

Your battery needs to be up to snuff in the spring when you light up your pony again. During the down time all the oil will have seeped down to the pan. You will want to bring the oil pressure back up BEFORE you fire it up again. So you should disconnect the coil wire and crank the engine until it pressure is back. Then hook up the coil wire again and fire the mother up. Some folks start the car every so often which is ok IF it is often. MG

Reply to
MikeG

It's not really okay. This is only good if the car FULLY warms up. Considering it takes about 10 miles of normal driving before the oil in your engine is up to temp, letting it idle would require a LONG time to heat it up. You are onyl introducing condensation in the system. Better off leaving it alone, put the battery on a battery maintainer. They're only 40 bucks or so.

Rein