Distance from tailpipe to tire...

I am in the middle of replacing my exhaust from the cats back on my 93 'stang.

When removing the old parts, I did not pay any attention to the distance from the tailpipe to the tire and now that I am installing the new parts, it looks like one of the tailpipes is too darn close to one of the tires.

Could someone with an 87-93 'stang measure the shortest distance (regardless of the specific location) from either tailpipe to either tire?

I realize this is a crazy request and I do truly appreciate your assistance.

Thanks!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Hi had a '89 LX 5.0. I don't remember a problem with the tailpipes and the tires. Once after a trip to Ford they messed up the pipes and they were too low and crooked. After a trip back they fixed them. I would say its all in the adjusting. You have to get the car up on a rack and lossen everything and get it to fit right. Fred

Reply to
Fred

I agree... but how close is too close?

Reply to
Steve

I remember the pipe being glose to the tire where it takes the bend around the gas tank. It is close but its ok because:

  1. There was no other way to position the pipe.
  2. Its on a hanger near there so its not going anywhere. The wheel there only goes up and down. I'd say an inch is fine. Make sure they didn't forget the hangers in the middle around the transmission area. Shops miss those. I had to make my own with bolts thru the rubber mounts and hanger straps.

Fred

I agree... but how close is too close?

Reply to
Fred

Steve wrote in news:2ab7d717-92f9-4eed-977e- snipped-for-privacy@c33g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

There's about an inch or so clearance on mine. I've got Flows, but the rest of the system's stock including the OEM rear stainless pieces. IMO as long as they don't rub as you drive you should be ok.

Reply to
Joe

I never noticed that before. Joe's right, there really is only about an inch between pipe and tire, at least on my LX.

The GT's outside in the rain, and I'm not crawling up underneath it today.

dwight

dwight

I got about an inch on both sides of the car, back part of the tire on both sides.

93 5.0 stock pipes (8# KB blower too)
Reply to
Zodness