Ditch '93 Cobra For New 5.0?

I'm kicking around the idea to let my 1993 Cobra go and replace it with a new 5.0 Mustang. My dilemma: I only have a two-car garage. And my wife's vehicle gets one of the slots, so that leaves me with only one parking space. (I refuse to park the Cobra, or a new 5.0 Mustang, in the driveway or street and expose it to the elements

24/7. Not gonna happen!) I could keep the '93 Cobra, but at this point in time the lil' snake's performance/235 HP is increasingly becoming, what with nearly seemly everything these days sporting 300+HP, um, lets just say ho-hum. I realize "upgrading" the '93 is very doable, but do I really want to go through the hassle, not to mention turning it into just ANOTHER modified late-model Mustang? (I've already done all the easily reversible mods.) Of course the "fuel" for my current thinking/planning is that upcoming, honey of a Mustang, the new 5.0 GT. 412HP, 6-speed trans, optional Bremo brakes, and killer looks, what more could a rabid Mustang enthusiast ask for? Okay, yeah, I know, a no-option/stripper version. But how can I quibble about that now when I've been driving an "all-option" Cobra for the past 12+ years. Straighten me out or talk me it in to it... I'd like some feedback.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

1) garage sized storage unit. 2) build a bigger or additional garage 3) buy a four post lift or just a storage lift provided your garage ceiling is high enough.
Reply to
Brent

check for low end torque, 93 has it. the new 5.0s (especially automatics) have far less on the low end, gas mileage optimization.

Computer has limits on things

Reply to
Mary

Yeah, and don't fall for any of that, dual overhead variable cams stuff, it's all fluff!

Reply to
GILL

freenews.netfront.net

I don't want to rent space.

My lot is already tapped out.

Not tall enough.

:-(

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

Time to move!!! LOL

Reply to
WindsorFo

Uh-huh, "Superchips Cortex."

Reply to
WindsorFo

Not bad at all, here is a 94 stock then 9# intercooled KB project for reference

Time for test drive a standard, if better than my 5.0 93 8# KB off the line, then switch to new and get rid of all the rattles and shakes (wife will not ride in the 93, too fast) and something that will last a while too hard to get parts now, but the 93 is FAST around town

Reply to
JOHN

If the cost of the new one isn't an issue I'd say go test drive a new one and if you like it buy it.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Welcome to my world, Patrick.

I understand. TFrog has been my best friend and constant companion for 16 years, and is still a flat-out joy every day. Now long in the tooth and with a laundry list of things that need to be done, it is still the "perfect car." The convertible is a relative pig, slow and heavy, so we have not bonded the way I have with TFrog. And TFrog is the car that "I will keep forever."

Now Ford has messed things up by bringing out a new model that is ultra hard to resist. My quandary - both '93s would have to go to make room for a new

2011, both in parking and in budget.

All I can say is what has already been said - take a 2011 for a test drive. If it makes you forget all about the Cobra, then the decision has been made.

dwight

dwight

1.Move into the garage. 2.Put garage doors (3) on the house.
Reply to
Bob Willard

If I ever tried to take my wife's parking slot I would find myself living in the garage.

Hmmmm... our dining room is big enough. I wonder if my wife would notice her dinning room table replaced with a Mustang...?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

Parking? If you can house two Mustangs now, why not just replace one and keep the TFrog?

As with your CFrog, I feel the same way about my Cobra. I like the car, but there's no bond. It's just not the same as my old '87 no- option, 5-speed, 3.08 geared, LX. THAT car was me. I was there when it was conceived (I special ordered it) and I raised it (from zero miles up to over 100K) -- lots and lots of memorable street racing matches, numerous trips to the drags (I made over hundred 1/4 mile passes in that car) and used it for many family outings/cross-country vacations. The Cobra in contrast was an adoption; it wasn't mine on day 1, and hasn't really been able to become part of the family.

I'm hoping a brand-new 5.0 might be able to fill the void that's been partially empty inside me for the last 12 years. I don't know... I do know a test drive of the new 5.0 is in order. And if it gives me that "warm feeling" a test drive of a '85 5-speed GT Mustang gave me back in '86, it may be time to type up a new "birth certificate" with my local Ford dealer...

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

Well, there's a more expensive option..

should work fine if you don't have to worry about flooding or seepage.

Reply to
Brent

Amazing! I would guess it's somewhat comparable to putting in an in- the-ground swimming pool. Cool stuff, but I don't think I want to go through all that.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

Oh, no. As is your situation, my wife gets one bay of our two-car garage. That means that one Mustang is always just outside, waiting to go. Generally, the convertible gets the garage in the winter, TFrog sits inside on the really hot days (it's a black car). In fact, having one car outside at all times was a mitigating factor in recently having a beautiful pine tree removed. (Sap, y'know.)

Exactly. Although, the difference is that I now want a convertible. That's why I've been mulling over the new six - the 5.0 convertible will be "just a bit" more than I can willingly spend.

...and then you started the next thread with "YEEEEEEEEHAH!!!!!!!"

Good luck!

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Seems to me raising a garage roof should be relatively simple and inexpensive. I might look into it if I ever get the far half of the garage emptied out enough to move a car in. The wife's SUV is parked outside the non-car side, lined up to move right in when it can.

I have the Mustang storage problem, but in my part of the world it's not so important that it be indoors. My white coupe is usually the outside car on the car-side of the garage. The black convertible takes the inside as a matter of course, but has done a few driveway episodes when there is some white-car project in progress. Both have good car covers, which are almost always on the parked cars, inside or out. I try to have the white car outside when there is rain predicted, and remove the cover before it gets wet. When it does rain, I use the opportunity to "wash" the white car, making that aspect of maintenance simple.

Raising the roof to accommodate a lift won't do much for what to me seems the only real problem with two cars and one driveway lane: changing from one car to another involves a series of moves I'd rather do without. I purely hate to start up a car and turn it off without at least a 20-mile drive. Heh.

Reply to
Frank ess

Patrick, in as much as you may love your old Mustangs, the 80s through pre-2004 Mustangs are... are quite simply old and dated cars.

With few exceptions, they are long in the tooth and nowhere near as desirable as new Mustangs, unless you want to talk pre-1974 Mustangs - that's a different genre and one of the main reasons we're all still talking Mustang these many decades later. Remember the late 80's Probe scare? Whew, seems like yesterday.

Go get the birth certificate prepared buddy, you won't regret it.

Tell 'em Andrew sent ya...

'65 6cyl auto Caspian Blue coupe with white vinyl roof - owned since '85 '80 4cyl auto white hatch - 1991-1992 '89 8cyl 5spd std blue hatlch - 1992-1996 '96 8cyl 5spd std forest green GT - 1996 new - 2000 [god I miss the beast] Since 2001 they've all been brand new Escapes, '01, '03, 06 and now '09

Reply to
notmenoway