Do You Support Automotive Black Boxes?

I must say I do. I think if you're trying to sue someone in an accident case or a company for a [possible] design defect you should be required to back up your claim(s) with raw data recorded in your vehicle's computer.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

This isn't anything new... The restraints control module on many vehicles has been busy recording many vehicle parameters during both deployment and nondeployment events.(sorry, I am not privvy to the nondeployment factors that will generate a recording). There was a stink on a public forum (ord diesel related) several years ago but it died a whimpering death. I have, on occasion, been faced with a restraints control module that offers a code indicating that module memory is "full".

My own view? If you aren't doing anything wrong - you have nothing to hide.... At the same time, the world is full of people that do have stuff to hide... and they are making my life complicated...

All things being equal.... I don't have any big concerns with my actions being recorded... I do, however, have a concern with a society that makes it necessary.

Jim Warman

No! Not if it can be used against me in court (violation of 5th Amendment rights), or if my insurance company can use it to cancel my policy or raise my rates. I have no problem if the information is used simply to make sure systems operate as designed or to improve the product.

Perhaps I am paranoid, but I even object to OnStar having as much control over my car as they do.

Reply to
D E Willson

Have a look at Page 6 in this 2008 Ford Mustang Owners Manual:

Frank ess

Jim Warman wrote: >

One day, probably many years from now, but SOME day, that one thought is going to come back to bite a bunch of people in the ass.

Reply to
WindsorFo

That 'not doing anything wrong/nothing to hide' attitude is what tyranny counts on. The problem is we never know what might cause us all sorts of trouble. What might be spun into something wrong. As someone who has delt with corporate politics I've learned that *ANYTHING* can be spun as a negative. I was once told I was giving 110% on something but I was bad because it didn't seem like I wanted to. And it's even worse when dealing with cops and prosecutors who are just looking to close things out and fill up their scorecards.

They'll go after the more politically viable target and driving a mustang by itself makes one more likely to be that target.

To get an even better idea of why 'nothing to hide' doesn't work, see a youtube video on why we should never talk to police. The first part is a talk given by a defense lawyer, the second is a cop who then agrees with everything the defense lawyer says and explains why. I think this is the video, but can only do a search atm, can't watch it to verify:

Brent

As well as acceleration/deceleration and g's. Careful.... Big Brother will be watching. LOL

Reply to
D E Willson

Perhaps the best thing is: it's "your" black box/data. You bought it. However, if "you" want to challenge an automaker over a design defect (i.e. unintended acceleration) or individual in a traffic case, your (though, it would be your option) strongest case would be to submit your black box data in court.

Anyone agree with me?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

Well, yeah as long as I have the final say as to whether or not it an be used. Just like taking the Fifth. But how is the law written in the US? I suppose if a warrant is issued,like they do to access one's PC hard drive then you can't really keep your data, can you?

Reply to
GILL

Yes, it is our property. However, we don't live in a free country that respects private property any more.

Reply to
Brent

The federal government already believes it has the power to sieze our data any time they want under the 'war on terror'.

Reply to
Brent

I don't have my tin hat right now, but if the gubberment takes over my auto insurance..........Nahhhhhhh! :(

Reply to
GILL

State governments are already in bed with auto insurers. Not to the degree as some other things, but it might get there.

Reply to
Brent

And... to get an inspection you must connect to the OBD2. Who's to say they won't send the black box data to your insurance company and to the local police traffic division. Of course, you have *nothing* to hide. Except when you hit 71 in a 60 zone while getting past that log truck one day. No one including yourself noticed; until your rates spike by $71 and you get a speeding ticket in the mail. Is that such a far fetched idea?

Reply to
WindsorFo

The UK is already pushing to use number plate readers to send out time/distance speeding tickets.

Reply to
Brent

We have Redflex speed and red light cameras here. I was, like so many of the "but if you have nothing to hide" crowd; erroneously in favor of them at first. Then came the screw ups and over indulgences, then came the red light cams and their tickets for legally turning right on red and then the shorter amber cycles....

Reply to
WindsorFo

If the OBD2 doesnt work they can tailpipe it. Just go up the harness somewhere and cut 1 of the wires to the port.

Reply to
RM v2.0

Not here, AFAIK you get a rejection.

Reply to
WindsorFo

But those of us that highlight the abuses and scams in the beginning get called "kooks" and worse. When the things come out as scams, when the abuses are well known, it's forgotten that the "kooks" were right all along or worse change can't happen because nobody wants to speak up and be called a "kook".

Reply to
Brent

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:46:16 -0500, RM v2.0 rearranged some electrons to say:

You should check the law before you follow this bad advice.

Where I live. If the car is 1996 or newer, and the OBD2 read fails, it fails inspection. Period.

Reply to
david