Dodge Challenger: A Go For 2008.5!

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

True, but that game can go on forever. A mod here, a mod there...

What you just said is why I don't think the Charger competes with the Mustang. To generalize, the guy buying the Charger has a family, needs ample room for at least 4, but still wants that kick when he hits the gas. The guy buying the Mustang GT is younger, and doesn't care all that much about transporting 3 more people around in it.

I'm not being hard on Ford for selling Mustangs; I love Mustangs and they are great cars. I'm dissing Ford because they have a tendency to yap about stuff that never materializes, and they keep switching gears as to what they're doing.

See above.

The 4.6 is a damn good motor. I just think Ford needs something more at this point. They've got the potential, all they need to do is follow through.

Above all, I think the Challenger will perform. Sure, there's the mandate to mass-produce a car that looks like the concept, but I think DC is well aware that the car has to perform or it will die quickly.

One can only hope. But there's nothing definite, so who really knows? Speaking of the truck side, Ford needs to get something happening quickly. This is where DC excelled - the Hemi runs everything from station wagons to trucks with no problems at all. And arguably, the Cummins TD pretty much rules the serious truck market.

I still love my LX, but like you I'm not brand loyal. Ford's got the low-end hipo market with the Mustang GT and DC has the higher-end with the 300C and the SRT cars. I just think that when the Mustang GT sees competition in a year or two, it had better have a bigger, more powerful engine ready to roll.

LOL!

To play devil's advocate, has any maker done any production car perfectly? Maybe Honda... ;)

Too much yapping and not enough product. They're always saying this, then saying that, then changing again. I don't know what to believe from those guys. Bad analogy, but it was the only thing I could think of at the time.

I take "out there now" to mean what's on the showroom floor now. Unfortunately, most of the cars you mentioned above are not made anymore. And some have not been made yet.

Agreed. It's a good time to be a horsepower enthusiast!

Joe

Speaking of which, the thing that hits my gag reflex is the Dodge trucks with that stripe and big rear wing. That has to be one of the ugliest/dumbest factory dress-up packages in history. And the sad thing is I see a bunch of trucks running around with that crap on them.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

While I would normally agree with your generalization, that is not what I am seeing in practice around here. A lot of 50ish guys going for flashbacks in the new GT, and younger guys with families in the Chargers. There is even a couple of them parked over at the local HS.

Because it takes them so long to bring products to market that the market changes & they fallback & re-group. Ford is really struggling with cash flow issues domestically.

Reply to
Zombywoof

I'm with you Joe. Ford has said so many things about the GT500's production quantity that no one knows what they will do. One thing I can count on is that they will do whatever puts the most profit in their pockets. If that means 9,000 cars get built then it will happen. It that means 3,000 cars get built then that will happen. If they don't keep production at a volume that keeps the price near the MSRP they have touted since last summer then there is a good chance I will spend my money with another manufacturer. They are not going to gouge me. Especially when there are so many great cars in the $50k-$65k price range.

A Challenger convertible would definitely get a hard look from me. Too bad its production date is so far off. It was one of the best looking cars at the DC Auto show this year IMO.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Rules? LMFAO Not on this planet,

For 2005 Daimler Chrysler sold 95,171 Light trucks with diesel engines For 2005 GM sold 115,578 Light trucks with diesel engines For 2005 Ford sold 239,645 Light trucks with diesel engines

GM moved the sales needle from less than 10% market share in newly sold HD trucks in 1999 to over 30% market share by 2002 after it replaced it's weak

6.5-liter diesel powerplant with the strong 6.6-liter Duramax. Almost all of this market share increase came from Dodge, the weakest player in the space with an engine/transmission combo that just doesn't measure up to superior Ford and GM diesel powertrains.

My Names Nobody

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1148160646.592004.178260 @y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Patrick, you got that right. But from a marketing standpoint, it's great. Throw a couple hundred dollars' worth of paint and plastic on, and charge the consumer double what it cost. Ugly stuff, but if it gives DC more money to put towards performance stuff, it's a good thing.

BTW, very glad you got home safe. Forgot to mention it earlier.

Joe

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news:hdudneQq1vO snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Best point of the whole thread. Money talks, hype walks.

We never got to see the Challenger in person down here, as it was MIA at both the Miami Beach and Ft. Lauderdale shows. But a convertible 'anything' is a good thing IMO. Especially down here. :)

Reply to
Joe

"My Names Nobody" wrote in news:4DSbg.3014$qn2.417@trnddc04:

Sales don't necessarily equal a better product. Possibly except for the new Duramax (which is made by Isuzu), the CTD is simply a better motor than other makers' offerings.

Pretty funny, considering the same article mentions that Toyota is scrambling to put a Cummins in its Tundra.

Joe

Between Ford's and the Dealer's greed it will be a miracle if any of these cars are sold for MSRP. It's not the greed that gets to me as much as Ford hyping a $40k-$45k price for the coupe and verts for the last year. If they are going to advertise that number then they should make it happen and they wonder why Toyota is kicking their ass. It is shit like they are pulling now that alienates their loyal customers and makes them look elsewhere.

The Challenger was one of the few cars I have seen that looked great from every viewing angle. I think it would make a great looking convertible.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Michael, you said what I was thinking much better than I could've said it.

Can't wait to see mock-ups.

Reply to
Joe

What about the fake hood scoop? Fake scoops are sad.

Thanks, Scott

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: >

Reply to
Scott Moseman

Yeah, they're bogus. Didn't Ford put one on a Mustang recently? ;)

Scott Moseman wrote in news:OlOdg.66125$CH2.19133 @tornado.texas.rr.com:

Reply to
Joe