Don't we all consider a "Cobra" to be a "Mustang"?

Ok, just a weird, frustrating story... wanted to share, and get some opinions on this one. Since I bought my Mustang, my friend has been interested, and has been looking for one as well. He came over and told me that he saw one in a used lot that he liked, and we called to asked about the year and price. The dork who answered at the dealership said, "oh, you mean the Cobra?" I said, yeah the "Red Mustang out front."

To which he rudly countered with, "It's not a Mustang, it's a Cobra."

So I said, "So, it's not a Mustang Cobra?"

"No, the Cobra is hand built. It's a model all by itself."

So I continued "So it would be called a Ford Cobra, and has no Mustang markings on it whatsoever?"

The rest of the conversation followed this pattern. So inform me... do you guys consider the Cobra NOT to be a Mustang? I know the guy was just an idiot... but I gotta vent.

Later, Shaun!

--------

Check out my Homepage

delete Nospam from e-mail to reply!

Reply to
Shadowhawk

Of course the Cobra is a Mustang... but it sure makes my GT look like a beater car!!

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Another victim of "salesmanspeak"...... believe half of what you see and none of what you hear...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Gonna agree 100% with ya on this one.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

I know that the Cobra is considered different from a Mustang with insurance companies. The sad part is a Cobra is cheaper than a Mustang because most of the punks that give Mustangs a bad rap do it in Mustangs and not Cobras.

However if I was a salesman trying to make a sale I sure wouldn't argue with a potential customer about it.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

people have the right to remain stupid!

Reply to
winze

On 26 Apr 2004 05:16:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comNospam (Shadowhawk) wrote something wonderfully witty:

A Mustang Cobra is a Mustang, a Shelby Cobra is a Cobra. I have been told I am not allowed to use a broadsword to disprove ?The Pen is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Sounds like an elitist jerk and a very bad salesman to me too. I hope your friend manages to get a nice Mustang Cobra in the end though!!!

Emily

Reply to
Emily Quesenberry
*scratching her head* Now, I realize that there is a difference, albeit ever so slight - but I am hard pressed to understand how this guy thinks that his "Cobra" is not still a Mustang. If you were to take the "Mustang" part out of the description, 80 percent of the people you talk to wouldn't know what kind of car you meant.

I have on occasion referred to Shug as "My Cobra" the first thing people think is that it's one of those little ones like Bill S collects, and I have to clarify every single time. So I stopped doing it. If it weren't for her Mustang momma and her Snake for a dad, no one would know what her heritage is.

I believe his intention is to swindle someone by making them think they are getting more than they are. It's STILL a Mustang from grille to taillights and all the sexy little spots in between.

Kate

98 Mustang Cobra

| > I said, yeah the "Red Mustang out front." | >

| > To which he rudly countered with, "It's not a Mustang, it's a Cobra." | >

| > So I said, "So, it's not a Mustang Cobra?" | >

| > "No, the Cobra is hand built. It's a model all by itself." | >

| > So I continued "So it would be called a Ford Cobra, and has no Mustang | > markings on it whatsoever?" | >

| > The rest of the conversation followed this pattern. So inform me... do | you | > guys consider the Cobra NOT to be a Mustang? I know the guy was just an | > idiot... but I gotta vent. | >

| > Later, | > Shaun! | > -------- | >

| > Check out my Homepage | >

| > delete Nospam from e-mail to reply! | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Dealerships... Proudly hiring food service drop-outs since 1887*

Bonus points to anyone who knows what made 1887 a noteworthy year in automotive trivia. ;-)

Reply to
Tungsten

Why, that's the year Ransom Olds built the first horseless carriage! And I didn't even Google it.

Where can I redeem my points?

Jim S.

82 Mutant

Reply to
Jim S.

The "hand built" statement is enough to piss me off and confront the salesman in front of other customers when he's showing the Cobra to them. It's only different due to a limited supply of certain parts on the car. TO ME it's just another Mustang. Most of whatever the Cobra originally came with is going to get chucked for hardcore race parts. Find a site dedicated soley to Cobras and print out the facts on it and go rub it in that salesman's face, er, ass. Oh what's the difference.

Helmut Roner Beat Up 1988 GT

Reply to
HELMUT RONER

Reply to
cobra boy

The Cobra is hand built ??????? Sorry just the Romeo/Windsor engines are hand built, the rest is MUSTANG through and through.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

Really? It's also the year that the Benz became the first automobile offered for sale. The birth of the car dealer! LOL

Reply to
Tungsten

It's just the dealer continuing the marketing of created rarity for a price premium. See my other posts why I am disgusted with ford wrt this practice. Yes, I know it's about making money.

Reply to
Brent P

It's just another mustang, not the exact same mustang. Sure a person could buy a GT and make into a cobra or even better than the cobra. It's about money. It's simply cheaper to start with the cobra variant if you want the 32V engine.

There is nothing stopping ford from offering a plain looking mustang like a the base 6 cylinder with the 32V V8 other than marketing. In fact, ford used to this sort of thing. 428 cobra jet '69 hard top with dog dish hubcaps.

Ford could mix and match all the cobra components into the rest of the mustang line. They simply don't because of marketing. (see the live axle vs. IRS debates)

Reply to
Brent P

The current Cobra's are Mustangs. Very nice Mustangs - but Mustangs.

To me a Cobra has a short wheel base, two seats, a huge motor, and that's about all.

Reply to
.boB

Reply to
Michael Seeley