Drive train vibration

I have a new vibration coming from the drive train of my 88GT. Symptoms are: Vibration occurs at speeds over 45mph, gets louder as the vehicle is placed under load, doesn't seem to change with engine rpm, stops when vehicle is coasting clutch engaged, comes back when clutch is depressed at speed. Out of balance tires would vibrate regardless of the clutch being in or out, so I'm looking for something in the drivetrain. It could be the U joints I suppose but I've never had any fail like this before. It could be an out of phase (miss aligned) drive shaft but what would cause it to shift after almost 300,000 miles of operation? The rear axle bearings have never been replaced, but then wouldn't the vibration be present at all speeds? Right now I'm just looking for a good starting point.

Reply to
Ironrod

With 300K miles on the odometer it could be anything. If it has the original U-joints in it then that is the first place I would check.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

And the slip yoke at the rear of the transmission. Explain this: >>stops when

If you're driving at the speed it vibrates and you press the clutch or put the transmission in neutral, and let the engine idle, does the vibration go away?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I have a 93 that driveshaft(?) vibes at about 70 and goes way with clutch disengaged, engine idle. Does it in 4th and 5th gear at about 65 to 75 Where is the slip yoke ?

Reply to
biggus

Yes that is exactly what happens, foot on gas car vibrates, foot off gas (car still moving) vibration clears, foot on clutch car starts to vibrate again. I'm starting to think it might be the motor mounts.

Reply to
Ironrod

It's the part of the drive shaft assembly between the front U joint and the rear of the transmission. As the rear suspension moves throughout its range of motion the distance between the differential and the trans changes, the slip yoke accommodates the changes by sliding in and out of the transmission on splines.

Reply to
Ironrod

Next time shut the engine off. That will end anything connected to the engine. Be careful, you will not have power steering, and if you use the brake, power braking will go away too. Just push in the clutch and shut the key off. Don't lock the wheel:) Let the clutch out to start he engine.

Al

Reply to
Big Al