Driveline question

Im still trying to figure out which driveline I will need to use for my upcoming conversion.

I intend to install a 1995 8.8 rearend into my 85GT. Im told the 85 driveshaft will be to long because the pinion on the 8.8 is longer by 1 1/2 inches.

What driveshaft will work? I was hoping to buy a FMS aluminum driveshaft.

Dave

Reply to
Mustang GT

The FMS driveshaft fits the 95 like a glove...so do you have the old 95 driveshaft lying around? Try it in for fit...If it fits, you're good to go with the fms part (I have one in my 94 vert). I believe the fms part will fit with the 8.8...but I don't see too many pre-87 cars , they always have me guessing...

Hope this helps,

Serge

Reply to
Serge

You could have a local driveshaft shop or a mail-order shop like Denny's Driveshaft make you one that would be a perfect fit, if none of the stockers are quite right. Shouldn't be incredibly expensive, particularly if, in the case of a local shop, you supply the '85 driveshaft you want shortened. Just measure carefully!

Dave in NC

Reply to
Mighty Monad

you don't need anything special for the driveshaft, a stock 85 5.0 driveshaft will fit with a 8.8, or get the aluminum driveshaft from summit racing, part #FMS-M4602G for 79-95 5.0 mustang's with either a

7.5 or an 8.8, manual or automatic trans. call 1-800-230-3030 or go oline.

winze