driveway spring swap?

I just got a nice gift, a set of ford racing springs -- 1" lowering apparently... Anyone know if this is a driveway weekend project? Ive never done a spring swap on a mustang, is there a howto or anything out there?

Reply to
japhar81

It's not that hard at all. I did it on a 95GT and had no problems. MAke sure you have some sort of breaker bar to get the front calipers loose. This was the only tool I didn't have (well I had it but the extension broke off due to cheapness of it ) There are write-ups online. I think I used one on stangnet but could not find it now (they renewed some stuff, am sure if you ask them they can send it) Also, once the psrings are settled (a week or so), go get an alignment.

Rein

Yeah, I read the online guides, theres something about the idea of using a jack to relieve the springs that sounds less than safe. And spring compressors are damned expensive:-/

Reply to
japhar81

You can rent a spring compressor @ your local auto parts store.

HTH.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

While using the jack, tie a good piece of nylon cord to the spring and then to a part of the car... and be clear of it's possible path of travel when you let the jack down.

In all of my experiences, however, the spring's been in the lower control arm so long, it didn't even spring loose. Getting it out was a pain in the ass, in fact. I live in the rust belt though and most of my work's been on cars with well over 10 years of slushing around in it.

JS

Reply to
JS

rent it? wow, gotta look into that

Reply to
japhar81

If you find the right place, they might loan it to you for just a small, refundable deposit.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Just *please* find the type with four hooks, two on the top, and two on the bottom... and make sure the spring is compressing evenly, and don't just zing it with an air gun all at once (if that's what you're using). Likewise on the reverse. Slow and even and it'll be fine.

Reply to
Wound Up

I used a jack, and it was quite alright. Just make sure you let it go down gently. At no point did I think there was any risk of it popping out. To make sure it does not happen you should tie it to somethign with a rope. IF you really want to use a spring compressor, some of the carparts places loan them out for free ! (refundable deposit).

Rein

Same experience here, except it was in Arizona. You'll have to pry a little bit to get the old one out, the new one (shorter) wll fit right in !

Rein

Reply to
japhar81