dual 4 bbl linkage question - "progressive"

I'm just about to install my newly rebuilt 289 hipro with dual Holly vac secondary 4bbls carbs in my 65 2+2 (its going to be a good summer). I have the factory links but someone suggested I put in a "progressive" linkage which offsets the opening positon of the two carbs (for smoother throttle response???).

Can anyone suggest a source of info on these and where to buy if I like what I read?

Reply to
Bob

The progressive linkage is for mechanical secondaries. The vacume secondaries are "progressive" already. Besides, do you want your front cylinders fed at a differant rate than the rears?

Reply to
.boB

".boB" wrote

The only time I'd use a progressive is on a tripower setup. Run off the center deuce until you pin it.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Yes progressive is for tri power setups. You want the primaries of the two

4s to open at the same time. I hope they're small carbs for the street.
Reply to
Mark C.

Thanks to all for the info. I suspected that there was something not quite right, as I spent a lot of time trying to balance carbs on an MGB which is legendary for this.

From memory they are 8160/61 pair, and visually you wouldn't consider these to be small carbs, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the "heads up". I may have to practice my softshoe routine to use this as a daily driver (previous two Mustangs were L6 and 260V8 so was never an issue).

Hmmm ,,, maybe didn't have to blueprint the engine.

It's going to be an enjoyable summer.

Reply to
Bob

two 4 barrels on a 289? How big? 600's? Is this a mostly stock 289? Sounds like alot of carb to me...

Heck, I thought a 600 cfm was all that came on the hi-po 289's. I know there was a 3x2bbl offered through ford (Holman-Moody makes the intakes again according to FRPP catalog -2004), and I have seen a drag 289's with 2x4bbl tunnel rams, but they spun to ~9000 rpm.

Not be> Thanks to all for the info. I suspected that there was something not quite

Reply to
cprice

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Reply to
maryhartman