dumb transmission question

I'm sure I'm going to be known as the dumb question asker but... What would it take to make an automatic into a manual? Is it simply replacing the transmission?

(insert insulting reply here)

Reply to
Menoah

Depends entirely on the year, make and model of the car. Generally speaking, you'll need the following parts:

manual transmission shifter bellhousing clutch/brake pedal assembly pressure plate/flywheel/throwout bearing clutch linkage

The transmission input shaft goes into the rear of the crankshaft. Some engines which came stock from the factory didn't have the end of the crankshaft drilled for a pilot bearing, so the crank would have to come out to be drilled. Since the manual trans is probably a different length than the automatic, a correct-length driveshaft would be needed. Often a different transmission crossmember is needed.

If you're contemplating this, I'd highly suggest buying a donor vehicle with a working setup, so you can see how it's put together and be reasonably certain you have all the necessary hardware at one time. It would cost substantially more (and give you a LOT more headache) if you were to try to piece it together from parts at the local U-Pull-It.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a thing or two but I'm sure others will offer some advice.

Keith

Menoah wrote:

Reply to
Keith