Electric fan problem

I've got a 98 Mustang GT. Only actual "mod" is a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter. The problem is when I have my A/C on OR nothing on the car will overheat after it's been warmed up & from that point driven for about 20 minutes. If I turn the heater on then the car stops overheating. I pulled her over & popped the hood.. the fan isn't coming on at all when A/C is on or nothing is on.. but it does come on when heater is on. I replaced the coolant temperature sending unit & this did not fix it. I'm thinking the CCRM might be the issue? Anybody else have any ideas as to what it could be? Thanks a bunch in advance.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Check the relay's... Im not sure if Ford use's the same set up as GM or Jeep, but generally the elec. cooling fan should come on when 1 of 3 conditions are met (assuming you have ac), Condition 1 - any time the ac is turned on. 2- any time the temp sender "see's" the temperature is above its limit. 3 - when you select the defrost setting on the control, that is if you have ac. I would either be testing the sending unit to see if it is working correctly or checking one of the relays that turn on the fan, could be anywhere from 2 to 3 relays.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

I've checking the sending unit & it's working. As for the relays... I'll hafta remove the inner fender shield to get access to teh CCRM (constant control relay module) I believe... seems like a PITA. Anybody know?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

There should be 2 sensors if I remember correctly, 1 for the fan control and one for the guage. I ONLY recommend using the original metal sensors from Ford and not the plastic aftermarket replacements. The CCRM modules are know to fail quite often. A computer test/scan allows the computer to send a signal to the high and low fans and would help pinpoint the problem.

TIM -aka- snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Musttanguy