Electrical quandry - 1985 GT

Hello all!

I know this may be impractical to try and troubleshoot via a newsgroup, but it doesn't hurt to try, right?

When I put my car away this fall for a long winters nap, I was aware of my backup lights not working, and I figured I would wait until the Spring to inspect the switch in the tranny and go from there (T-5 "Z" class). About two months ago, I noticed that the brake idiot light stayed on even after releasing the parking brake (I put it on when I would start the car periodically in the garage during the winter). I figured the switch may be sticking given it is original as built in 1984 (original owner).

OK, here is where it get interesting. We had a bit of mild weather last week and decided to turn the car around via a spin up the road - when I put on my seatbelt and inserted the latch, the brake light went off and the seat belt buzzer came on!

Every time I would latch/unlatch the belt the light and buzzer would turn on and off respectively.

I was hoping someone might have some experience with this odd ball situation, or could at least point me in the right direction.

Any takers?!

Thanks!

Reply to
Carfan

My first suggestion is to get a manual that has wiring diagrams.... being able to "see" the circuitry goes a long way to aiding in a resolution. I am of the opinion that the back up lights is *more than likely* a different problem... FWIW, when troubleshooting an electrical concern such as the back up lights, I start my testing with a DMM at the nonfunctioning load, the circuit "in tact" (i.e. nothing disconnected) and in a condition where we would expect the load (in this case the BU lights) to work... key on, in reverse, ets., etc.

In the case of the brake warning lamp/seatbelt buzzer, I would suspect a bad ground...

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

@!#$#@$@ !!!

I did a long post on this and must have hit the wrong button. It never showed up.

Anyway...suggest for spring you pull the seats and console. Allows through cleaning and inspection for this type of problem as well as cracks and tears that may show up later.

Disconnect/reconnect any wire harness connectors you can get to, and put thin film of dielectric grease on the contacts while you are at it.... hinders corrosion.

Also make sure you look for and reseat any grounding lugs. Dielectric on them, too, no matter what you hear to the contrary.

"Carfan" wrote:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Morning!

I already started gaining access to the console, a complicated week prevented me from making any real headway. I am going to heed yours and Jim's advice and inspect all wires and grounds. The brightness of the light and the strong buzzer sounds makes me think this is more an errant hot than a ground, but I will let you know!

Thanks guys!

Reply to
Carfan