Emergency brake handle

The emergency brake handle has broken on me twice (65 6 cylinder). The first time I practically had to destroy the handle in order to get it off because I had so much trouble getting the pin (or whatever it is called) out of the shaft. I put on a new handle and after about a year this one broke! I probably should learn to grab it closer to the central shaft rather than out on the edge.

In any case, I am having the same problem as before getting the handle off. Once I get the pin out this time though I am thinking I'd like to put on the new handle using some other approach such as drilling a hole so that instead of using the pin I might slide a small screw all the way through the shaft and put a nut and lock washer on the other end.

Does this sound reasonable? Is this difficulty with removing the emergency brake handle something that seems to happen a lot? If so, is there a typical solution to this problem? Thanks.

Reply to
Richard Catrambone

Richard Catrambone

I found that this was much easier by taking the emergency brake handle assembly out ot the car. Then it was easy to drive the pin out with a punch. Taking it out of the car only took about 20 minutes. Some handles broke quickly. The one I have now is not breaking. Seems some of them have better plastic or something. Some have metal inserts, some do not, but the metal inserts dont necessarily last longer.

Using a screw or something instead of the pin works fine. Right now I have a cotter key. I have also thought of making my own handle out of a wooden dowel such as a broom stick handle.

Gene Wagenbreth

Gene has the right idea about removing the whole assembly. I just use a good vice grip to grab the pin and work it out at that point.

One thing you may want to do avoid breaking handles in the future is to step on the brake pedal hard then set the emerg brake. Let the hydraulics to the hard work not that poor handle ;^) StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Okay, thanks. I don't have the repair manual in front of me right this minute, but based on what you are saying (i.e., the 20 minutes part!) it sounds like removing the assembly is not that complex? Anything I should look out for in the process?

The ones I have used had the metal insert and, as you suggest, it does not provide much of a benefit.

I like that idea a lot. I guess a machine screw can create its own thread?

Actually I guess that would be easier than putting in a screw. No worries about it breaking or anything?

Hey, that could be a cottage industry for you!

Thanks again.

Reply to
Richard Catrambone

vice grip to

on the brake

That's a great idea and one I will follow in the future (and one that seems so obvious once someone says it!).

Reply to
Richard Catrambone

Gene,

Have you found that the cotter key is sturdy enough to withstand the force applied to it when pulling on the emergency brake? Thanks.

Reply to
Richard Catrambone