End of the Line for Ranger Pickup

Ford leaves it to the F150 to pick up, no pun intended, the remaining sales. But is that a good idea? In the link below, I agree this is where the Ranger needed to go.

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

ranger is still being sold overseas.

The Ranger can't make the new CAFE requirement. If it can't make the new CAFE requirement it has to have lots of margin (read: profit), as a small pickup it probably doesn't. Good bye ranger.

Reply to
Brent

I think the guy in the link I provided is right. They tried to make it slightly smaller F150. They should have made it more car sized so it could fit in a garage, if needed. And the [much] smaller size would enable it to get noticeably better mileage than the F150 too. But instead they overbuilt it to handle big loads when most people buying a "mini" truck only need a small/moderate payload.

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

A new Ranchero based on the mustang with NO mustang features AT ALL. Just mustang drive train, suspension, and whatever makes all that work. Think of all the muscle rancheros there would be in no time.

I may have had one glass of wine too many... My gf keeps filling my glass.

Reply to
twk

By "features" you mean 'resemblance to?'

I agree a modern-day Ranchero would work.

But this writer I think is more right. A car-based, FWD, very small,

4-cylinder pickup, with an optional diesel motor. Something good for about 500 lbs of payload and a bed able to handle a sheet of plywood and have maybe a retractable tonneau cover -- everything based on practicality.

You're a wine drinker?

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

Yes. We don't need a mustang truck.

Yep, that would work too. Simple, strong, and inexpensive. Just to be clear, FWD = Four Wheel Drive? Front Wheel Drive without rear wheel drive is not for me. Just My Opinion. I'm not a front drive fan.

Sometimes. Especially if my glass keeps filling up on it's own.

Reply to
twk

OK, Ford can tell people it is only good for 500lbs of payload, but unless the Ford police follow the owners around, how long will it be before they are loaded with 1500 lb (or a lot more) of crap? And if Ford truly tries to hold down cost by designing the components of the truck so they are only good enough for 2 times the rating, how long before Ford will be sued for selling a truck that was unsafe for use as a truck? And if they make it safe enough for any forseeable misuse, then will it truly be cheap?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Arg! I meant Front. Otherwise it's "4WD" of course.

Reply to
twk

You cant regulate stupid. How would this be any different than dumbasses who overload 1/2 ton trucks? Dumbasses who stack 10 sheets of plywood on a ford fiesta? If Ford declares a certain payload and you exceed it then Ford is not at fault. There have been little car/trucks before, Subaru for one.

Reply to
RM V2.0