Engine cutting off for unknown reasons?

I recently purchased a 1986 Mustang GT with a 1993 5.0 HO engine swap. I have had on a few occasions had the engine shut off during high way crusing and at a few stop lights, as well as it sits in my driveway while idling.

The engine has a F303 cam installed. Once the car cuts off I cant get it to start again. It turns over but will not start. I have a new distributor that I had the module tested, the pickup plate was tested, the coil and the alternator and all checked out fine.

It's getting gas and I am thinking it is not getting spark somehow.

Anybody have any tips or comments?

Reply to
SomeBody

Well I think it's the module. They are good until they die, cool off then they are good again till they die,cool off then they are good again till they die,cool off then they are good again till they die,cool off then they are good again till they die... get my drift. It will be intermitent due to heat. It might eventually totally die but when they are in heat fail mode they are annoying and often dangerous. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

SomeBody opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@Someplace.org:

Tell me... did you think to look at the tach while it wouldnt start?

Do I have to tell you why?

Ok, if the tach is bouncing then the TFI is working and the coil has continuity and power to it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

might be the hall effect sensor. I've had the same symptoms on my

95GT. Got slowly worse until it didn't want to start at all anymore.

Rein

I'm with Stuart on this one, even though you said the module checked out fine. I replaced mine in about 10 minutes on a Ford dealership parking lot yesterday. My '88 had the same symptoms; cut out on the highway on Sunday but ran fine the rest of the week. Even got me to work Wednesday morning with no problems. Went to run an errand a couple hours later and the car just died so I parked it on the lot and walked back to work (ok, so it was only a block away but I'm heavy and out of shape:)). Put the new module in and VROOOM off I go.

Good luck tracking your problem, Gary

Reply to
Gary

I have had a somewhat similar issue on my 2001 GT. On two occasions (both this year) I'd go out to try and start the car after work and the care would turn over, the engine would fire up and start, but as soon as I would release the key the engine would die. I would try again and again to start it, but it would just do the same thing. The way I got the car to run both times is to give her gas while turning the car over to start. After it fired up I would keep the gas pedal pressed in and the revs above 2000 rpms for a few seconds. I'd let go of the gas after keeping it revved for a few seconds and it would be ok.

What could cause this condition? Same thing mentioned in one of the replies already?

Larry

2001 GT 'vert
Reply to
Larry Maniccia

This is a follow up to my post to let everyone know what has happened since then.

I replaced the module and tried running it, It failed again after about 20 minutes or so at idle in my driveway.

Since my dist. was still under warranty I took it back and got another. I started it up and had it running for over an hour in my driveway. I have yet to take it out on the street for a road test.

I thank everyone who had suggested on where to look.

Reply to
SomeBody