ENGINE FIRE!

Advice for today: BUY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER FOR YOU CAR!

I went and started my 79 Ford truck today and noticed black smoke rolling from under the hood,I pop it open & the engine is ON FIRE! there is no water or phone where I keep it. HOLY SHIT,WHAT TO DO?,I have an extinguisher in my car,I hit the button and it DOESN'T WORK! OH NO! THE FIRE IS GETTING BIGGER! I tried slapping it with an old blanket, NO GOOD! I luckily left a cooler in my car that had some water & a couple of can drinks in it, I poured that on it and with that and several huffs I got the fire out! SHIT!

Reply to
winze

Well, back in the days of real metal hub caps, you could pry one off, then gather enough dirt to throw on the fire to get rid of it. But, you have to do this very quickly before it spreads.... But, a fire extinguisher is allot better! The above advice is if you don't already have one!

Reply to
Tom

I'm still puzzled as to why it caught fire, it only ran for 30 seconds tops, so the engine wasn't hot, it wasn't a carb fire, the air cleaner was on it also & the fuel line is steel except for a short rubber piece connected to the fuel filter,which appears to be intact after the fire. The fire appeared to be around the distributor,something ignited years of old crud build up on the engine, it burned all the spark plug wires,distrubutor cap, coil wires,etc. If I'd been out on the road it most likely would have burned to the ground!

Reply to
winze

Possibly a leaking plug wire or coil wire.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Yep. I had a bad coil wire catch the hood insulation on fire on my car. Good thing I forgot something and had to walk back out to the car to see the smoke coming out from under the hood.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Once several years ago I was driving through a small town. As I made a very slow curve through a business district I saw a man jump back from his truck. The hood was up and smoke started billowing from under the hood. I hit the brakes and grabbed the dry chemical extinguisher from behind the seat in my truck and ran over and doused the flame for him

All the guy said was... "Thanks.... I guess. Is that going to hurt my engine?" and gave me a funny look. Seems he had been working on the carb and the air filter was off when it burst into flames.

*sigh* I don't know who the dumbass was, me or him.
Reply to
SVTKate

Him. :-)

Whole truck could've burned to the ground had you not stopped the flame. It probably didn't hurt the engine, but even so, one engine is cheaper than the whole truck... well, unless the truck's ready to be retired anyway.

Ya done a good public service. :-)

JS

Reply to
JS

I've got it running again, it apperars the 3 wires coming from the distributor shorted out & ignighted some oil around it. I replaced the pickup in the distributor,plug wires, coil wires & the fuel line. It started right up afterwards.

Reply to
winze