engine noise at start up

Just bought a 2002 GT Mustang two weeks ago and the second day I had it when I started it up I got a slight noise at start up. This was done after the engine sat over night. There is a noise that goes away soon after the engine warms up. is this noise serious ?? If it is i got a warranty I purchased with the vehicle. Noise sounds like a slight knock. Is the oil not getting to the parts soon enough? Is there a cherck vavle that supposed to hold the oil up there so it won't have a dry start?

Reply to
papajack

You can check with the dealer for a little extra peace of mind (they will want to hear the car on first start of the day) but you will find that some noise is considered normal on the modular engines. These pistons are pretty much a skirtless design so there's not much to stabilixe them in the bore until they start to heat...

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

My Y2K GT has knocked on start-up since day one. At 10K miles I switched to Mobil 1 10W30. While it reduced valvetrain noise on start-up, the light knock is still there, lasting one or two seconds.

bradtx

Reply to
bradtx

I hope you are not using FRAM oil filters. I had the same symptoms when I tried a fram filter.. Went back to motorcraft filter and startup noise was gone.

Reply to
RT

Agreeing w/RT, I've only found three oil filter brands that work well with the Fords I have...Ford, Purolator and Mobil 1 (in order of preference).

bradtx

Reply to
bradtx