Engine numbers on my 1990 Mustang GT? VIN CASTING STAMP

I have a 1990 GT and want to know how to determine if the engine block is original. It may not be but I don't really know how to find out.

Also if it doesnt match and I have no receipts to verify it was bought legally, which I beleive it was, how will this affect me selling my car. I live in AZ. Would this be a problem in my state and what about other states?

Thanks for any help you more knowledgable people can share.

Reply to
Mike

I'm at a loss. What possible difference would it make to the buyer whether it was the original engine or not unless you are telling him it is? If you don't know, then don't say it's original, just say you don't know. I don't think it would make any difference in the value of the car unless there is something special about that particular car that depends on it being the original engine, like if it was originally owned by Richard Petty or something. The MVD doesn't care what engine block is in it, all the care about is whether the thing passes the emissions test.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

You can find the casting stamp on the bottom of the block, just above the starter. If there's a lot of dirt and grime it will be hard to read. If it's clean, it will still be hard to read. So be diliogent in your search. The casting number will not match the VIN on your car. It will tell you when the block was made, though. I don't live in AZ, never have. But in all the states I have lived in, nobody checks the block number to register a vehicle.

Reply to
.boB

Thanks bob and ashton. Your probably right, it really doesnt matter. I have just heard stories before, but it must of been a different situation.

Reply to
Mike