Engine Stall on '95

hello guys, '95 Stang GT- over 116,000 miles on it i have a problem w/ my Engine stalling, sometimes it idles up to

600-800 then bobs up and down (like its struggling to keep alive) and sometimes it dies.

is there some kind of checklist you guys can give me, maybe i can show to my friend (likes to fix cars)?

Reply to
loathe

Idle air control valve?

Reply to
SS

I think a failed (or failing) Mass Air Meter also gives similar symptoms to what you said you're seeing. Try using a code reader to see if you have any sensors failed.

Reply to
Michael Mazzone

Have you played with the throttle plate stop screw or the idle control screw??? It either of these is not set correctly, your IAC will not be operating in the right actuation zone and can cause these problems.

You IAC may be sticky or defective.

Your EGR valve may not be closed (should be totally off when idling). Your EGR valve may be defective or dirty. The vacuum modulator for the EGR valve may be defective.

Those are the things I'd check first. If its none of those, look for ignition or fuel problems.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

I tried all those things when my 5.0 was doing the same thing, but could never figure it out. Took it to my mechanic, he replaced the 160deg t-stat with a stock one and took care of the problem. Just my 2 cents worth.

Blue Gator

Reply to
Blue Gator