Exhaust questions for 90 GT

Hello. I have a 90 GT with Motorsport 1 5/8" unequal shorty headers, aftermarket H-pipe with hi-flow cats (2 instead of the stock cat/pre-cat setup), 2 chamber Flowmasters, and turndowns. While I upgraded my whole exhaust system for performance gains, I went with the turndowns to add to the sound effect. Despite all I've done, my car still isn't as "throaty" as many others I've heard. However, it has always satisfied me.

Inspections have been a problem since I had the turndowns installed about ten years ago. I'd always find a shop to test it, at times after several efforts that failed. When the car did finally get tested, it passed with flying colors. I'm tired of the hassle of hunting for a shop each year to test me without the hassle over the tailpipes, so this leads me to my questions. Is there a muffler/tailpipe combo I should consider for the most aggressive sound, based on anyone's experiences? As indicated before, it has a nice steady rumble now, but if I must convert back to tailpipes I want to preserve the sound I have, or maybe even enhance it more. My car is AOD, which I suspect accounts for the differences in how mine sounds compared to others....most likely 5spds.

I don't want to be driving without the proper tags, but my desire to have my car the way I want it comes first. I'd be grateful for any advice on brands of muffler and/or tailpipes that would allow me to maintain my car's "throaty" personality. Thanks and best wishes.

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Randy Pavatte) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3271.bay.webtv.net:

Randy, why not just install pipe from your existing mufflers on back? Most shops will be able to cut off the turn downs and run pipe over the axle and out the rear just like most 5.0s already have. Just make sure you get stainless tips...

Joe