Extreme irritation with Classic Cougar & Mustang

I planned on not mentioning the company involved with this story, but screw him, I'm pissed.

I went to Classic Cougar & Mustang in Concord, Ontario (north of Toronto) two weeks ago looking for used leaf springs for my '65 Mustang. My car has been sagging on the drivers side by a good inch to an inch and a half. My father suggested a place that would re-arch the springs I have, but I wanted a quicker solution, not involving leaving my car on jack stands for the last couple of weeks of the summer.

Buddy tells me he can take the springs off a car he has in the back for me. It'll take about a week. I drive back a week later to the day:

"Can I help you?" "Yeah, I'm here about the leaf springs for my car." "Oh, they're not in yet." "What aren't in yet? I'm looking for used springs." "Oh yeah, sorry I haven't gotten to that, I'll call you when they're off." "Is there any chance I can have them by (this) weekend? "I guess if you really need them."

So I leave and come back three days later, and he proceeds to dig out a spring half stuck in a pile of crap in his racking in the back. He tells me he's got one spring, and it's clearly not the spring(s) he showed me. When pulling it out, he sees the other one.

We look at them, I'm a little wary. He says they're the right ones and that you really can't judge them until they're on the car.

Soooo...I get them home. I pulled off a spring today, no easy task due to a tight bushing very close to the tail pipe.

I look at the two and they are quite different. For one thing, the bushing loop on the end of the new one is larger. For another, there is one more leaf in the new one. I figure, whatever, I'm looking to lift this side up anyway and I'm sure the bushing rubber will tighten up in the bigger loop (it didn't).

I could go on with a long sorted tale, but the synopsis is, after struggling half the day today to get this thing to fit (involving modifying the plate the U bolts connect to), my car is sitting about 4" higher on the driver's side. It's looks like a friggin' ZZ Top video. I can't even budge these springs by sitting on the trunk (I weigh about 250)

If asshole didn't want to, or didn't have time to sell me leaf springs, he could have told me. I would have had my re-arched springs back by now, not to mention my valuable time not wasted with three trips to Concord and screwing with the wrong springs.

I wouldn't do business with this dick again if he was giving out free GT500's with every purchase.

Reply to
pawn

You should a have just gone to a spring shop and avoided the middle man. Thanks for the heads up though. It seems there are very few decent Vinatge Mustang houees in the GTA which really astounds me considering most of the car that survived Ontario driving usually need LOTS of stuff. A friend had good dealings with Canadian Mustang in BC but it is sad that I need to have parts shipped 3000 miles to get what I want when I live near the largest city in Canada! StuK

ThunderSnake #11

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

I'm not trying to be hateful here. But WHY would you try toput on a spring that is obviously the wrong one?

I know that desperation sometimes makes attempt to do the impossible but that's pressing your luck a bit.

I think I'd take the spring back to him and shove it right up his a$$. Then I'd look him square in the eye and tell him I will wait while he goes out and gets me the RIGHT set of springs explaining that it is your 4th trip there and you are fed up with his sloth and bullshit.

Hope you get it fixed.

Kate

250) | | If asshole didn't want to, or didn't have time to sell me leaf springs, | he could have told me. I would have had my re-arched springs back by | now, not to mention my valuable time not wasted with three trips to | Concord and screwing with the wrong springs. | | I wouldn't do business with this dick again if he was giving out free | GT500's with every purchase. |
Reply to
SVTKate

Putting on the spring at that point was the only way to go, unless I wanted to throw down the drain all the effort that went into the project to that point. Like I said, taking the original spring off was the bigger task (not to mention three wasted trips).

Not to sound like a pushover, but I truly hate conflict like that. I paid $100 CDN (about $75 USD), which isn't the end of the world, so I'll probably just accept what happened as a lesson learned. I doubt he seriously meant to screw me over, whatever.

Now that I have all the tools out and the original spring off, I think tomorrow I'll take the first short leaf off the new spring and put it on the original spring and see if the extra stiffness + nominal thickness of the leaf is enough to put it where I want it (maybe I'll heat it up a bit and throw a little extra curve into it too). $100 for a 3"x16" rusty piece of metal. Worse things have happened to me. Usenet can be so therapeutic, I feel better knowing my rant has been received. ;^)

Thanks.

P.S.: While working, I glanced up and noticed the "MUSTANG" lettering is missing on my front fender. (sigh)

Reply to
pawn

I'm sorry, but if you were worth a damn as a Mustang owner, you would know not to replace used springs with more used springs. If you are on that tight of a budget, I suggest a bicycle. The guy at CC&M taught you a lesson. Learn from it.

Reply to
CobraJet

BTW I have used set of '67's if you want them for Gratis... You just need to drive to the Guelph area to get them. StuK

ThunderSnake #11

usually

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

You sure sound it.

Thank you for your well thought out and useful response. I will certainly file it where it belongs.

I will be sure to thank him. And thanks to the wondrous nature of the Internet, other people have learned that lesson vicariously. I certainly hope CC&M's lesson reaches a lot of people.

Reply to
pawn

drive to the

That's a very generous offer. I'm going to try my own fix first though.

Thank you.

Reply to
pawn

Wow, Cobra Venom! The guy was looking to vent to fellow Mustangers about a crap situation he found himself in, and you drop a turd comment on him, like try a bicycle?

He got taught a lesson? What shop owner teaches lessons like this? The ones that find themselves out of business, pal.

I hope you don't find yourself in a jam and need some advice from a group like this. But you sound arrogant enough that you prolly wouldn't bother...

Rory P. Bellows

"Alcohol is the cause of, AND the solution to all of life's problems"---Homer Simpson

Reply to
Rory P. Bellows

Haha he said "prolly" StuK

ThunderSnake #11

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

And hence the reason you get called an asshole behind your back and there aren't more people with TS# in their sig. Holy crap for such an old fart you need to grow up a little, because that attitude was way uncalled for.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Not a choice, take them back and get your money. Maybe he did not purposly try to screw you, but he didn't care. He does not deserve to sell some pair of unknown springs laying around in a pile of crap.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Sniff. Sniff. Sniff. I think I smell a flaming coming on.

Reply to
John

and you have a prollem with that?

*snikker*

Kate

| > He got taught a lesson? What shop owner teaches lessons like this? The | > ones that find themselves out of business, pal. | >

| > I hope you don't find yourself in a jam and need some advice from a | > group like this. But you sound arrogant enough that you prolly wouldn't | > bother... | >

| > Rory P. Bellows | >

| > "Alcohol is the cause of, AND the solution to all of life's | > problems"---Homer Simpson | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

I think you're right. ('nough said)

Reply to
pawn

I have tons of sympathy for clubies.

It belongs in the back of your mind. Thank me in ten years.

The lesson is this: DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

Laziness creates its own rewards. If you had come in here *first*, you would have discovered that a brand new PAIR of springs costs 85 bucks U.S. But you paid 75 for used crap, and made three trips for the honor. Oh, and still have a clusterfuck to sort out.

I don't care what your defense team says to me. The reason there are so many violin cases in this world is because the basic premise of "learn, then do" that is taught in school is totally forgotten during the graduation party's drunken binging.

You know, the classics are disappearing at a feverish rate. If you aren't willing to care for yours properly then you should remove yourself from the hobby. Aside from this newsgroup and Web, there is a ton of printed literature on the subject. If you can't hack it, then off to the Schwinn dealer with you.

I'm not backing the asshole at CC&M. H's a lazy ripoff, you're a lazy patsy. You are both to blame. This group has seen countless examples of unwarranted gripe sessions over the past years, and I'm sure there will be countless more.

Reply to
CobraJet

Bullshit. You don't think I've seen you unload on people time and time again in here? Jumpin' Jesus of Galilee, you're one of the worst. If you weren't married to the 347 lock, stock, and schlong, I woulda made you TS#2.

Listen, I call it as I see it. That's what Usenet is for. If the limp-handshake, bunched-up panties, doe-eyes in the headlights, PC-thumping, designer-water-guzzling n*****ts out there don't like me, they are welcome to killfile my old fart ass into the next millenium. And if they want to double flush, they can ricochet your name into the swirling blue torrent, too.

Sincerely yours, Mr. RAMFM Congeniality 1998,

Reply to
CobraJet

If you heat it up and aren't skilled with rearching / heat treating springs, you won't have much of a spring left... Be careful.

$100 for a 3"x16"

Reply to
351CJ

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

I don't have a 347, never have. I do have a 390, a 352 and at one time had a 427. I may be sarchastic, but I never get vile with someone for making a stupid mistake, especially someone that is newish. It takes a good bit of back and forth before I ever get nasty with someone, but you very often seem to jump the gun. Same scenerio. I was very new in this group and I asked a question at the formation of the TS deal and you gave me not a sarchastic reply but a rather vile one. You were in my twitfilter for a long time until I quit bothering with one.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]