Factory CD Player Question

Hi all. I haven't been around here for awhile (since I sold my last Mustang :( a couple of years ago) but I'm in the market again. Anyway, this isn't quite related to Mustangs, but I believe the setup was the same, so I'm going to try you guys first. Here's my situation:

I have a 93 Escort GT that keeps getting broken into. So I've gone through three CD players now, not to mention other things that have gotten stolen. Anyway, the car came with the factory "Premium Sound", which meant cassette player and factory amplifier mounted under the console. So what I was wondering is rather than buy another aftermarket CD player that looks attractive to thieves, would a factory Ford CD player work? I'm thinking of the normal DIN size, which I believe were options on the early 90's Fox-3 Mustangs. They might even have used them in the 94+ models, but for some reason, I thought that those were two separate DIN units.

I also believe that the "premium sound" that my Escort is setup for is the same that the Mustangs/Tauruses/etc/etc came with from that era. Actually, I know for a fact that this was the same installation in the

1989 Taurus that I owned as a winter beater when I still had my Mustang. I don't need anything fancy...I just hate all the radio stations in my area, so I'd prefer listening to my CDs.

Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone do this before in a similar setup? The radio has two connectors on the back of it, one is for all the power connectors, the other is the outputs to the amplifier. In fact, when I bought my aftermarket CD players from Crutchfield, they sent me an amplifier bypass connector. Essentially, it was a harness extender to go from the speaker out's of the aftermarket stereo to the harness that comes out of the factory amp to connect to the speakers.

Any help would be appreciated. Of course, if this is do-able, I'd be in the market for that factory CD player if anyone has one and wants to let it go cheap. All the boneyards around me want an arm and leg for them.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Reply to
Greg S. Ragsdale