Fairmont / Zephyr Buildup

I'm considering building up a fox body Fairmont or Zephyr. I have a wrecked 86 GT 5-Speed as a organ donor. Have any of you swapped internals between these models? Any tips would be appreciated. Of particular concern is whether the motor mounts and tranny crossmember are direct bolt-ins, if the 8.8 rear end is a hard swap, if there's any driveshaft length issue, and finally, if an electric fuel pump can be fitted in the Fairmont gas tank.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. It may be nostalgia, but I actually like these older, boxy cars. It'll be an awesome sleeper.

Reply to
localhost

Yes, I've a friend that had a Fairmont Futura with a very powerful

5.0 and a Tremec 5 speed. I don't think I'd personally use an 86 5.0 and trans, but....
Reply to
WindsorFox

I've got a '78 Mercury Zephyr Z7 that, within the next year, will be resurrected. (Same as Ford Fairmont) Mine came original with the 302/ C4, but the srod 4 speed overdrive was also an option. It is my understanding that clutch linkage, motor mounts and a lot of drive train parts will interchange with the Mustang of that era. There are also a lot of parts still available from the Ford Motorsport catalog, especially the double humper transmission mount that you will need for the dual exhaust. (~$75 if I recall) Another consideration is dropping in a 429/460 motor. Swap kits are readily available and I think the swap kit is still offered in the Motorsport catalog. The catalog cost of $5 is probably one of the best bargains in the world, IMO. Even if the Fairmont is about as aerodynamic as a garage, Bob Glidden had incredible results with that body style back in the early '80s.

Reply to
Kruse

localhost wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j4g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

That would be a cool build, especially if you had the one with the Landau bar across the roof with a half vinyl top. They called it the "Baby Bird."

Cars are too cookie cutter these days. It's a good bet that many of today's teenagers have never seen a Fairmont. I know I've only seen one or two the past five years myself, and they were both wagons. Another lost car is the Pinto. I get all kinds of comments from young people when they see my '75 Bobcat wagon that someone converted into Cruisn' Wagon with the portholes in back.

Reply to
elaich

I autocross with a guy that's built a very cool '80 Fairmont. Being a Fox body car it's my understand that EVERY Mustang part will fit with only one issue ... the car is longer which impacts drive shaft length and subframe connectors. I believe he had to change the k-member to accommodate the 5.0 (originally had a 6). He's still running the 7.5 rear but has an 8.8 ready to go in if/when the 7.5 breaks.

Reply to
Dave Wick