First Mustang (1990 LX)

Hey guys,Need advice.In process of buying 1990 LX hatchback.3:55 gears, 65mm throttle body, lowering kit,Underdrive pulleys,AOD,shift kit,H-pipes.Shifts a little hard when going into OD between 45-50MPH.Small rust spot on Right bottom of hatch.Faded red but bottom is ok. Body straight as an arrow and tiny surface rust spots(Florida car).I will paint it myself.Also the rubber bumpers are flaking to the yellow plastic in places,What can I safely strip these bumper covers with?Can outside rubber around side windows be replaced easily by myself?Will gas mileage improve if I replace BBK TB with a stock unit for highway ?Hoping for 22-25 mpg highway driving like Grandma)Oh, I forgot, the lower driver door pin and bushing is pretty loose,how to fix? Will a stock 1994 throttle body fit on this intake?(i have a spare )Paying

2500, in my area an auto is hard to find(wifey will drive sometimes ),Going price seems to be 3800-4500 with decent paint,for an ok car.The car just rips and engine sounds healthy(170k)Interior not bad.GAAD, it's fun to drive.Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply to
scott and barb

My 89 with stock AOD would sometimes shift with something of a clunk when going into OD so maybe it's the nature of the beast. It was bone stock and on a good day anything over 20 mpg was a real stretch. Around town it was more like 14 mpg. My 88 5speed did much better, usually getting 18+ around town.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I seriously doubt changing the throttlebody will raise milage. It really only gives it the *possibility* to get less milage when you stomp on it more and harder. And it only does that in conjunction with other upgrades. With 3.55 gears you might get that kind of milage if you stay at 60MPH and don't pass anyone.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

kit,H-pipes.Shifts

spare )Paying

sometimes ),Going

Reply to
scott and barb

I have had 2 that did the same thing. I shifted manually from "D" to "OD." Did not keep one long enough for it to go bad. The other one has been doing it for 10,000 miles and that is the only issue with the tranny. Small rust spot on Right

If it is not too bad, use sandable primer and repaint. I did it and it turned out nice.

Can outside rubber around side windows be replaced

Most can be done easily and cheaply. A couple of strips are expensive. Do a google search for Late Model Restorationa or Mustangs Unlimited. Both carry a large supply of resto parts.

Will gas mileage improve if I replace BBK TB with a stock

I have heard of people getting low 20's in Hwy driving. Have not done it myself. My foot is too heavy. Oh, I

Check the sites I recomended above. Easy fix. Very common problem. They make kits specifically for this.

Probably not, some of the plumbing may be different and there may be some hood clearance issues. I am not that familiar with the 94+ 5.0's though.

Paying

Have fun!!

Reply to
Claud Spinks