Fix for cracking leather steering wheel?

The leather at the top center of my 92 GT vert steering wheel has cracked. Is there something I can do to fix or fill the cracks?

Reply to
johnpagenola

There isn't a whole lot you can do AFTER it's cracked other than recover it or replace it.

Reply to
Ritz

Well then, is there something you can do to keep it from cracking in the first place?

Reply to
351CJ

Clean them regularly with saddle soap that has lanolin or glycerin in it maybe... works on saddles, why not a steering wheel?

KJK

: >

: > There isn't a whole lot you can do AFTER it's cracked other than recover : > it or replace it. : : Well then, is there something you can do to keep it from cracking in the : first place? : :

Reply to
KJ.Kate

I've cleaned mine regularly, it's not cracked but the dye/color has worn away from regular use. Thinking about an FR500 wheel....

Reply to
Brent P

I occasionally clean mine with Lexol and then hit it with some leather/vinyl conditioner. That seems to work for me.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

I wear a pair of golf gloves when driving more than a short distance. They keep the sweat from hands off the leather.

-- 'Til next time,

John H

****************************************** ***** Have a Spectacular Day! ***** ******************************************
Reply to
JohnH

I used to clean mine with P&S Leather cleaner and then just rub it out when it dried, I never had a problem. On my 95 the color started to wear/come off just before it hit the wall. I think it was partly my fault because I was using a different cleaner then that was a bit too harsh for it. . WHATEVER you use, be sure it is mild and conditions the leather and will not attract dirt and get sticky gooey on you. Of course, avid Armor All and other silicone based products.

KJK

: >> There isn't a whole lot you can do AFTER it's cracked other than recover : >> it or replace it. : >

: > Well then, is there something you can do to keep it from cracking in the : > first place? : : : I occasionally clean mine with Lexol and then hit it with some : leather/vinyl conditioner. That seems to work for me. : : Cheers,

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Boy am I sure glad my hands don't sweat.

Reply to
351CJ

"JohnH" wrote : : I wear a pair of golf gloves when driving more than a short distance. They : keep the sweat from hands off the leather. : -- : 'Til next time, : : John H

*smirk* *snikker* ... you're kidding... right... ???

Makes me think of an old Dean Martin or Our Man Flint movie - putting on the driving gloves

Sorry, I have always thought them to be ridiculous looking.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Especially when it is a cop wearing black ones with the finger tips missing, in the heat of summer. LOL

Reply to
351CJ

No, what you really want to avoid is the cop wearing latex gloves and carrying a flashlight in his mouth....

Reply to
Ritz

I actually asked one of these mid summer black glove clad cops if his hands were cold. :-) Boy he didn't like that. :-)

Reply to
351CJ

"Ritz" wrote : >> Sorry, I have always thought them to be ridiculous looking. : >>

: >>

: >> KJK : >>

: >>

: >

: > Especially when it is a cop wearing black ones with the finger tips missing, : > in the heat of summer. LOL : : : No, what you really want to avoid is the cop wearing latex gloves and : carrying a flashlight in his mouth....

Ehm.... this isn't the voice of experience talking.. is it?

;¬D

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate