Flame exhaust

Ok... just saw part of the movie "Grease" and I started wondering what does it take to make the flame shooting exhaust like what was popular in the

50's hotrods?

Out of this question come a second question, is it legal in most states? I assume not in California as they are so hard with their emissions standards but I was thinking more along the line as safety. I thought I read somewhere a long time ago about using a spark plug welded a few inches back from the end of the tail pipe but what keeps the spark going? do you just tap off from one of the plug wires under the hood?

Assuming of course we are using, say a 65 Mustang coupe, is there really enough un-burnt fuel in the exhaust to create a flame or does there need to be some sort of fuel injection into the end of the exhaust?

Any useful replies welcomed, "Flames" will be ignored!! :)

Reply to
The Wes'ter

You don't even need a spark plug.... kids in the `50's would just shut the engine off in gear while cruising at a fairly high speed, allowing a lot of fresh unburned fuel to fill the exhaust system, then start the engine and Ka-Pow! My mom did this and blew half the exhaust system right off the car. I'm sure a nice flame came out of the pipe on that one. How about install a propane bottle in the trunk with small outlet nozzles welded near the exhaust tips.... you can even have a remote igniter like on your BBQ grille.... simple... then you can have a nice controlled flame pouring out of your exhaust pipe... you can even roast marshmallows off it as well. Ummm... other than for roasting marshmallows, why again did you want flames to come out of your exhaust pipes? Here's a safer idea... not sure if this exists but I imagine it does... have your REAL exhaust pipe tips hidden under the car so they can't be seen. Then install two fake chrome exhaust tips at the back of the car, and install bright orange lights inside... I'm sure you can get some kinda flickering bulbs to give that flame effect. Would be nifty for a show car at night time. Or, if you really need flames, do it the real men's way.... install a huge cam in the engine and run open headers... guaranteed to provide a good amount of flame... sounds cool too.

-----------------------------------

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

I think it's kinda cool in movies, but not in real life. I'm not going to talk a buncha crap or anything, but I'd advise against having flames shooting out of your tailpipes. I don't see how that wouldn't be illegal.

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

It's illegal in Colorado, because the driver's handbook states that no device that produces flames or smokescreens are legal.

It does look cool on TV though...

Reply to
Ralph Snart

Get a big carb and a cam that will barely idle - super low vacuum at low RPM - blip the throttle hard and let off - hope your exhaust stays in place.

Andrew

The Wes'ter wrote:

Reply to
Andrew Paule

First off, it is illegal in most every state. Secondly, you run the chance of setting your car on fire without modifying the pipes to extend past any combustable component.

Reply to
Matt Mercer

Though I have seen one guy driving a 50's Skyliner with flames @ a local Show and Shine in Aurora, CO. Flames shoot several feet.

Scott Williams

Reply to
Scott Williams

I thought it was illegal in every state. But what you do at the local car show and on the street are 2 different things. If you have cats on the car dumping raw gas into them will ruin them. I'm not sure what it will do to the O2 sensors but I'm sure it's not good for them either.

Reply to
pete

"> Ok... just saw part of the movie "Grease" and I started wondering what does it take to make the flame shooting exhaust like what was popular in the

50's hotrods?

Its really not too tough, but as previous posts have said, its probably illegal except for "Car Show purposes". With that said...

Assuming you have dual exhausts; Get youself two coils and two spark plugs. Drill a hole in each tail pipe about 6 inches from the end. Weld in a bung for each plug, making sure to install either on the top or side of the pipe. Mount your coils in an inconspicuous location, and run a plug wire from the coil to the plug. Install wiring from a suitable ignition hot, through a relay, through a switch mounted in a convienient location, to the coil positive terminal, ground the negative terminal..... Now just rev the engine and let off, hit the switch and rev again...there's your flames, and you won't blow yourself up with propane... maybe just melt the bumper of that Honda behind you. Just be aware that the novelty WILL wear off eventually and you'll still have holes in your tail pipe.

You can also get kit and make life a bit easier ..

Mustang_66