Flex Fan

In GT50H's question about his overheating problem, I remembered an open question I had.

I'd love to hear opinions. I bought Flex Fans for my 89 and 93 LX's, but then let myself get talked out of installing them by a neighbor (another 'shade-tree mechanic'). His opinion was that 'I'd set the field of auto engineering back by 30 years by doing that'. His opinion was that the fan clutch relieved the motor of a load when disengaged, and that without the fan shroud and OEM fan, I would lose cooling efficiency. I've seen articles report that the Flex Fans INCREASE efficiency. Also, with those years, my engine compartment has enough crap with all the vacuum hoses and electrical connectors they needed for emissions back then. I'd love to clear it out a little bit (fan, clutch, and fan shroud). What does everyone think?

Reply to
Jim Custer

I agree with the school of thought do NOT remove the shroud and the Flex fan in fact does add more constant resistance to the engine.

Reply to
WindsorFox

I plan to add AC and Custom Auto Air includes an oem type fan with the kit. I think a shroud was also included. They recommended against using the flexfan.

Reply to
Spike

definitely don't dump the shroud. It really helps keep your engine cooler.

Reply to
Les Benn

Maybe years ago when big heavy steel non-clutch fans were used. But now days, your stock fan is much more efficient. If you want to step up, install an electric fan.

You're crazy. Leave that stuff on. DO NOT remove the shroud. It's vital for cooling! Again, if you want to step up, consider switching to a quality electric fan set up, but if you do, again, do NOT remove the shroud.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

If he installs an electric fan he can probably remove the shroud without any cooling penalty. The electrics are low profile and come with their own mini-shroud.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Correct, with the thick aluminum radiator I have and the small electric fan it stays very cool. I have one I bought sometime back from a place on the web that I think is gone now, but it mounts in the original shroud.

Reply to
WindsorFox

A "heavy duty" flex fan will cool better then the OEM setup BUT it will be quite noisy at speed. Unless you are actually having an overheating problem and can't cure it with a new fan clutch (often the only problem is the old clutch is worn out) I would not go to the flex fan. Ford used them from the factory for several years way back when and then went back to clutch systems. I had a 69 Pontiac that ran very hot, almost but not quite to the point of overheating. I put a flex fan on it and it dropped the temp ten to fifteen degrees but the noise it made was unlivable so I put the clutch setup back on and just turned the AC off on the few occasions when it was getting too hot.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher