Fluctuating oil gauge in 90 GT

Hi everyone. The oil gauge in my 90 GT has developed a habit of fluctuating, usually between halfway and the lowest point on the "normal" scale. This has been going on for a few months, but the car isn't my daily driver. I only drive it once in a while if the weather permits. The needle tends to dip to the lowest point when idling, then rise back to about midway when driving. This doesn't occurr all the time. Please give me some ideas of things to suspect. I see no drips on the ground, so it doesn't seem to be leaking. Could my oil pump need replacing? Its part of the original components on the car since it was bought new in 1990. So far I've noticed no drivability issues related to it, but I'm concerned nonetheless. I'd be grateful for any help you all can offer. Thanks very much. If you need me to answer any questions to help with your input, I'll do so to the best of my ability.

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

Sounds like a poor electrical connection. I believe the stock oil pressure switch is an "on/off" switch. Don't know the location of the switch on the

90 GT but I would first clean the electrical contact at the switch and if that fails to correct the problem then replace the switch. Having said that the problem may be in the dash gauge or circuit board and as you noted the oil pump.
Reply to
Richard