FOR SALE 1998 COBRA CONVERTIBLE

My 1998 Cobra convertibel is for sale.......black on black all stock....new roof and new clutch....a1 shape....55000 miles on it. Asking $18000. ( incl ext ford warranty up to 90000 miles at no extra cost.)..for more info incl. pictures e-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@telus.net thanks ...John

Reply to
John Folkers

why in the world are these people charginf so much for there cars lately... YOU WILL NEVER GET $18,000 FOR A 1998 COBRA

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

Instead of bitching you could just tell yourself "no thanks" & not say anything. Just my .02 cents.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Mike,

I agree 100%.

Reply to
Shane Metzler

Why should i not say anything.. im trying to tell this guy that he is asking way too much for this year, make and model and that he isnt going to sell the car for that much when there is 1998 cobras around here selling for $5000 less than what he is asking...BTW, there is a 2000 cobra 5-speed with leather interior here in the paper for $14,8000...Im not bitching at anything, just telling him the truth

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

I think it was just the way you came off...Writing in all caps is like yelling...had you wrote what you just wrote, I think you would have been fine...give the original poster something to go on...

Reply to
Shane Metzler

You came off as a real asswipe in your first post on this particular thread. Anyway... some people like the 94-98 body style better than 99-04 body style... and somebody might want a 98 Cobra rather than a '00 Cobra... and I haven't really seen any Cobra w/out a leather interior.. come to think of it I've never seen a GT around here w/out leather interior (mine sure does.. and i don't like it much). Anyway.... try to leave informative posts next time like this one was almost... except with less attitude ;D. Take it easy.

-Mike

98 Mustang GT
Reply to
<memset

Here's the rub for waiting... This fall a brand spanking new Mustang GT hits the showrooms with a mid to low $20k price. I would bet it's performance numbers will be about even with the '96-'98 and '01 Cobras. The price of SN95 Stangs will probably drop like a rock this fall. If he waits too long he'll be begging someone to buy it for $12k this time next year.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Everyone missed the obvious... there was no '00 Cobra convertible made. The only '00 Cobra was the R-model - definately not a convertible.

The papers around here (I live near Tom somewhere) are prone to that mistake though.

JS

Reply to
JS

Snap it up! Not many '00 Cobras around. __ John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

ah... *smack* show off ;D

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

If a dealership offered me a 2000 Cobra for $14,800, I'd find the cash somewhere.

;-)

Then again, it's still just about as fast as an '03 Cobra, and not nearly as modifiable....

JS

Reply to
JS

stock....new

Reply to
John Folkers

So if KBB is saying $16,500... why are you asking for $18,000? 55k miles... I wouldn't give $18k for it... I'd give *maybe* $16k for it.. and that's if it's in top condition both interior,exterior,engine, etc. Oh well.... ask whatever you want..

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 06:48:33 GMT, "John Folkers" wrote something wonderfully witty:

While that maybe the case many people do not pay retail KBB prices to begin with when dealing with private party sales. That doesn't mean you won't get your asking price, just that you will have to wait.

I will usually split the difference between retail & wholesale on a private party sale. When I ran a KBB check on a `98 Cobra droptop for my zip code it came back with a private party sale price of $14,385.

Another thing to keep in mind is that KBB prices aren't the best indicator. NADA guides are much more in traditional use. For a `98 Cobra droptop they have prices of $13,975 trade-in and $16,475 retail. When you split the difference you end up with $15225.00 as a rough average private party sale. Now if you can get someone to pay $2775 over that price more power to you. I just wouldn't be holding my breath.

The one other thing is to do a market search to check what people with comparable cars are asking. On Auto Trader I found a `98 droptop Cobra with 25K miles and over 5K of add-ons (suspension & exhaust mods) for an asking price of $17,500. There was also one with 31k miles with an asking price of 16K. The lowest asking price was $14488 for a cobra with 59k miles.

I hope you can see that your price is at the top of the scale and is the reason you have generated the comments you have. Good luck with your sale, just don't be surprised by the length of time it will take to sell, or the comments you will get here. This really isn't the best place to pass-off a Cobra at top dollar. Most folks here know what's what.

I have been told I am not allowed to use a broadsword to disprove ?The Pen is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Wow that was informative. Nice, ZombyWoof.

-Mike

is Mightier than the sword'.

Reply to
<memset

Say what you want, he still isnt going to get $18,000 for the cobra.

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

You never know...

It is the last year of the body style, and it's a triple black convt. There haven't been any "triple black" cars since '98. Someone might just want one

*real* bad.

When selling a car I always ask for a high price, with the expectation of negotiating downward. A few times people have paid the asking price, and I've come out WAY ahead. Wouldn't it be foolhardy to set a rock bottom price as the "asking" price? __ John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

Sorry, im not out to rob people that dont know better...Some time people trust in the seller because they may not know what model/make the car is worth.... I would sell the car for what its worth, and what i myself would buy it for, and a 1998 cobra with that mileage aint worth $18,000 no matter how good shape its in unless he dumped in a supercharger...

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

Supercharger on a 98 Cobra... as JS & others said... dangerous! 10.5:1 compression... watch out!

-Mike

Reply to
<memset