FOR SALE 1998 COBRA CONVERTIBLE

Doesn't mean anything. These cars are not collector cars. Not saying they are bad cars, hell I looked at buying one of the 96-98 cobra's too. Starting out a little higher than what you want is fine, I did the same thing. Wanted 6K+, asked 7K and ended up getting 6200 for my 95.

But by doing it excessive you chase away tons of prospects for sure. If I wanted to buy that type of car, I'd skip it and not even bother negotiating since it is way too high. Too many others out there for a better price.

Rein

I never said it was. The car has some desirable features, though. My only point was that "asking" 18k for something that could be expected to sell for 16k isn't unreasonable. That's all. Toms original response was a little over the top.

Percentage-wise, you got the OP beat. ;) Nothing wrong with that. It's the way the game is played.

In my experience, a higher price mostly scares away a lot of the "lookers" who will just waste your time. Many serious buyers *will* look at something with a higher "asking" price, if they are looking for a quality vehicle. They know the price is negotiable. The ball is always in the buyers court, when it comes to used cars.

__ John C. (who sold his blown '00 GT Convt. for a fair price) :) '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:00:15 GMT, "John C." wrote something wonderfully witty:

It really is sort of a yes & no issue. A looker really doesn't care about the price, hence the title "Looker". A serious buyer on the other hand might not even include the car in his/her look see list if it is out of their price range. With both the NADA Guides and KBB being online most higher end car shoppers are forearmed with all of their data. I certainly am not going to go look at a 14K car listed for 18K. Would you?

Personally I like to advertise my vehicles for just a tad over what I have got to get. I usually tell buyers I am firm on my price and since it is close to market price they know that if they have done their homework. Hell, I'll even post the NADA value on the window. That is sort of popular in my area right now. If they try to dicker I have a little room to move.

The opposite applies when I am the buyer. I will usually offer just a tad over trade-in and see what happens. I've had people get downright offended. Never understood why. They would be a whole more offended at the dealer who tries to scoop it up for wholesale.

IMHO in private party deals neither the seller nor buyer usually want to play games. Leave that up to the dealers. Only people who are way upside down try to get more then the guides show for a private party sale. Unfortunately a lot of folks are that way until almost the last year of their loan. 100% financing may get you in a new car, but it can make it a bitch to get back out of it as well.

I have been told I am not allowed to use a broadsword to disprove ?The Pen is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

percentage, yes, Dollar wise no. My goal was 6500, and not lower than

6000

Not really. If you wanted to go testdrive cars just for fun, would you pick the KIA or the M3 ?

Rein

Not without some *very* good reasons why they're asking so much, 4k of blue sky on a 14k car is certainly excessive. :o __ John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

Speaking of which, I just took out a new GTO today. Kinda "blah" looking, but goes pretty good. __ John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

Oh, they have them in now ? Yeah, the outside is bland as hell. Looks like an oversized cavalier. Nice engine, with 6 speed BUT it's way too heavy.... Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:48:27 GMT, "John C." wrote something wonderfully witty:

For a *new* car it is sort of dated in a lot of areas. While it did have some go juice I thought the handling need more then just a little work. In my area they are asking a rather hefty premium over MSRP and I don't really think it is worth it's MSRP to begin with.

They might have had a winner on their hands if the price was lower and people could get one as a 1/4 miler like back in the golden years. I think it is a pure marketing/profit making exercise and will fade very quickly from the scene. I have been told I am not allowed to use a broadsword to disprove ?The Pen is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

That's exactly what a recent test showed. Suspension needs work.

they trying.. they might get away with it for a few months since it is new. Won't last long. In the current 'rebates' market they'll likely be adding rebates soon and selling below sticker.

Mightier than the sword?.

nope, it's too damn heavy also. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein