Ford GT Puts Viper On the Trailer

Viper - 12.07 @ 120 mph Ford GT - 11.69 @ 122

Test Summary: Dodge Viper SRT-10 Base price: $80,995, Price as tested: $84,795 Engine: 8.3-liter/505.0 cu.-in. OHV 20v V10 HP: 500 @ 5600 rpm, Torque: 525 ft.-lb. @ 4200 rpm, HP/liter ratio:

60.2, Trans: 6M Powertrain: front engine/rear drive, Axle ratio/type: 3.07:1/limited-slip, Curb weight: 3357 lb. Weight/HP ratio: 6.7, Tires: Michelin Pilot SPORT, f: 275/35ZR18, r: 345/30ZR19 Acceleration: 0-30 mph: 1.95 sec., 0-60 mph: 4.30 sec., 1/4-mile: 12.07 sec. @ 120.04 mph

The Viper has officially been dethroned. Last time we conducted this test, the big Dodge was the quickest car, belting out a blistering

12.08 at 118.51 mph. This time it ran quicker and faster and still found itself running third. Who would have thought that a Viper would be sent packing on grudge night at the local dragstrip? Okay, let's get realistic here. With 500 hp and 525 ft.-lb. of torque, the Viper is certainly no slouch. And to beat it at the strip, you'd have to roughly double its $84,795 sticker price. The Viper is a huge bargain. It's also easy to turn the mammoth 345/30ZR19 rear tires into smoke. Get too aggressive with throttle and this monster will sit there and spin its tires into a dense cloud. But with a little clutch slippage and less than 3000 rpm showing on the tach, you can get out of the hole and down the track. There is so much power and so much torque that each gear change happens with Richter scale ferocity. Any car that will do over 120 mph in the quarter-mile qualifies as scary fast in our book.
Reply to
Patrick

Michael Johnson, PE

"the quickest production car to be had in any new-car dealership on planet Earth"

isn't the Enzo the quickest?

how does the 03/04 Cobras stack up against the Viper / Vette / GT

rja

Reply to
RjA

That's awesome, Patrick... both cars are soooooo nice..

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

$60,000 to pick up a hair less than .4 seconds... I've heard people here talk about how much more it costs to pick up the 2nd second in 1/4-mile time, as opposed to the first, but that final 4/10 of a second is far too pricey for me.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I can name at least 8 quicker, still in production, cars:

Ferrari Enzo (660 bhp) Mercedes SLR (626 bhp) Porsche Carrera GT (612 bhp) Koenigsegg CC8S (655 bhp) Koenigsegg CCR (806 bhp) RUF R-Turbo (590 bhp) - Manufactured by RUF, not modified by RUF Pagani Zonda C12-S (555 bhp) - S7 might be quicker, but I doubt the GT is Lamborghini Murciélago (571 bhp) - S7 might be quicker, but I doubt the GT is And possibly the Mosler MT900R (445 bhp, but really light)

Reply to
Sven

Well, IMHO, the Viper loses on style - the GT wins hands down. Ford took on Ferrari once again with their sites on the 360 Modena and succeeded...

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

Totally ridiculous comparison. Apples and oranges. Vipers and Corvettes are in the same league; the GT is esoteric at best. The GT's high cost and "unobtainability" put it out there in the stratosphere.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

bargain.

cheapest

exclusive

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Is he making one? Or just hoping he does? I think it'd be pretty cool if he did. Probably far overpriced.... but still neat.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote

No way. $150,000 cars are not for working stiffs. (And who here believes you will actually be able to waltz into a dealership and pick one up at that price?) You're talking mortgaging two or three years of your after-tax income to buy one of these. I'd rather retire two or three years early. You can achieve these performance levels in a Vette or even a Mustang for alot less dough.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

No question - the new GT is fantastic. (Of course, the Viper was equally fantastic when it debuted.) It's the Mach 5 in reality. Can't beat that!

But at its asking price, it's just a poster on the wall.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

It's not a matter of affording it but of getting my hands on one. You're right about getting one ahead of all the "connected" people. I figure my best chance will be during the second year of production. Assuming the demand levels off a bit. If it doesn't level off then I may have to wait on the Cobra or pick up a used one. Even at a price of $150,000 the GT is a lot of car for the money. Nothing coming out of any new car dealership can touch it for the price.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Coooooool... I can't wait. I think I'd prefer the blown 5.4L to the V10... but who cares. Either way, it's gonna be a monster.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Yup. Assuming, of course, that the Shelby Cobra actually makes it to production. I'd also like to see the 'Vette thrown in there for old times' sake.

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

smoke.

slippage

Reply to
Joe

rja,

- Stock the '03-'04 Cobras are very low 13/high 12 second cars and run about 110 in the 1/4.

- You can see the Viper's numbers below.

- Regular C5 Vettes run high/maybe mid 12's at a tick faster... about

111 mph. Z06s runs mid to lower 12's at about 115 mph.

- And you can see the GT's numbers below too.

Stock vs stock and with drivers of equal ability the Cobra loses to all. However, the Cobra's "ace up it's sleeve" is it's supercharger. Dial up the boost a little and the Vettes fold, and the Vipers run scared.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Ah, but now you've stacked the deck. Bold a mild blower or a turbo on the 'Vette or Viper to even the playing field and the Cobra eats the others' dust.

Joe

Here is the test data that caught my attention for the GT.

0-60 mph: 3.43 sec
Reply to
Mark Jones

Dialing up the boost is a modification, so at that point you have to open the other cars up to mods. I have seen a new Corvette here locally that says 600 hp on the license plate.

I believe it is one of ATI Procharger's test cars because it had one of their badges on the back and was headed towards their offices.

Reply to
Mark Jones