Ford Lightning not the fastest truck

Your meaninless name calling just demeans you. I have poasted many years and you cannot instruct me. I know better than to call names if I want conversation, even if the person disagrees with me. I am on my 3rd computer and am in the process of building a 4th better one. I poast here because I have a Mustang and another sports car. I love these autos, but the future for gasoline engines looks bleak.

The Toyota Hybrid gets 30 mpg with a novice and 40 to 50 mpg with a driver well versed in the hybrid. No doubt they have problems, but they are first generation, and later generations will be better. Also, they need to price them more realistically.

Aghnis

Reply to
aghnis

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:26:22 -0600, "Erik D." wrote something wonderfully witty:

Having driven pickups of one type or another almost my entire life, I am curious as to how the issue of such a light ass-end was over come with in the Gen1. It wasn't AWD was it?

Reply to
ZombyWoof

"Erik D." wrote

The other issue I've heard about the SRT's is that if you tow with it, you void the drivetrain warranty. WTF!!!

Reply to
66 6F HCS

"aghnis" wrote in news:1112232177.713166.163690 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

manners,

Your future for "poasting" looks bleak. You might want to learn how to spell.

garbage.

This is too good: "Well versed in the hybrid". Sounds interesting. BTW, Toyo hybrids don't get 40-50mpg. It says they do, but they really don't.

Weren't the 1st gens made years ago?

Joe

ZombyWoof wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Out of the box, Gen 1s were low-15 trucks in the 1/4. Basically, my Dak is the same as a Gen 1: RWD big V8 with a slightly improved suspension and bigger wheels/tires. A torquemonster for sure, but certainly no race car. Tons of fun to drive though.

Joe

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:24:11 GMT, Joe wrote something wonderfully witty:

I am still curious as to how a pickup in any configuration is going to beat a Vette/Viper/Mustang hell maybe even a Mitia in an AutoX course. Yeah you can make a pickup that hauls balls, but handling is an issue that is really hard to over come with it's intrinsic weight distribution problems with a light ass-end.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

The lightning ass-end is actually not very light. The rear end is housing is bigger than the usual 8.8, the frame is thicker than a regular F150, it is lowered, it has added swaybars, and throw in a full size spare back there and there is a good bit of weight. With the stock suspension in my truck, it hardly spins the tires even with the 4.10s and 1800 rpm stall. It just hooks up and throws you in the seat. Same thing going through turns, it does not come out from underneath you like you think it would. I have driven many other trucks as well, until you drive a Gen 1 lightning you will not understand. While the Dak is similar in performance as far as straight line, it does nothing to compare to the handling of a Gen 1 lightning. The Dak is alot more similar in handling to a Gen 2 lightning, which also fails to compare to a Gen 1. Seriously, I never thought a truck could handle either until I rode in a Gen 1 lightning. Until you ride in one there is no point in me trying to make you understand any more than I have already tried. Seriously though, I would like to hear your honest opinion after you take one for a good hard spin. :) Erik D. '94 white lightning '01 white GT

Reply to
Erik D.

It's doubtful that Erik even knows who I am; but, I know he's been around here for quite a while longer than me (I don't post here much anymore). And if there's one person on here that I would believe is giving out truthful information on a Lightning, it's Erik. And don't ask me why, but I can remember when he bought the truck after having tons of transmission problems with his 93 LX.

No Erik, I'm not stalking you! I just remember that white Lightning ;-)! Nice looking truck.

Reply to
Fao, Sean

37/25 EPA est for the Honda vs. 39/33 for the Echo. And I doubt if the 37 for the Honda is at 80 mph. In their Dec 04 test report Car & Driver got 26 mpg overall.

So I'm agreeing with you, that plain old gas engines are still where it's at for economy-minded. You take the added buy-in costs and the complexity and battery replacements of the hybrid and you really aren't saving money with a Prius or a Civic hybrid.

The Accord is different, though. Its electric motor adds 16 hp and 100 lb-ft to the 240 hp, 217 lb-ft of the 3.0 gas engine. 0-to-60 in 6.7 (0.3 quicker than the non-hybrid). What's not to like?

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1112288273.513180.252020 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

That's what I was wondering - real world mileage. EPA figures are fiction.

Exactly my point.

So the electric runs along with the ICE? Is the ICE running full time?

Joe

"Erik D." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net:

I've never driven a Lightning, but the R/T is definitely no slouch when it comes to handling. IIRC, it's got all of the same stuff that the Gen 1 had. BTW, my R/T is the last year it was made. After '03, there's no such thing as a Dakota R/T.

Joe

):

"We think average folks wouldn't notice anything about the way it drives, either. Okay, engine off at idle might raise flags, except, 'Is it really off? What's that little noise? There's a vibration, too.' Until you read the manual, the small green 'AUTO STOP' blinking on the cluster is cryptic to the point of huh?

"During our summer test motoring, the A/C was always running. The belt-drive compressor (75cc displacement) stops with the engine, but the electric compressor (15cc) maintains cabin coolness and keeps the Accord alive with enough vibration that you could think=97in a Lexus anyway=97the engine were still idling.

"The 2997cc V-6 has a system to deactivate all the valves on the rear bank. It's programmed to shrink back to three-cylinder operation below

3500 rpm when cruising or coasting, and the others don't come alive even for mild acceleration. Instead, the electric motor readily and seamlessly kicks in to help. Only at higher revs, or if the battery is down, or if significant acceleration is ordered, will all six cylinders join in. One staffer thought he could feel some rough running on three, but most of us could not. This feature is highly successful, effectively cutting consumption in half when the green glows." 180 Out
Reply to
one80out

I remember you Sean! Thanks! Erik D. '94 white lightning '01 white GT

Reply to
Erik D.

I know the R/T is no slouch, neither is a Gen 2 lightning for that matter. They just don't compare. My good friend has a '93 lightning and his brother has a dakota r/t. They are both very nice and two of the cleanest trucks around. The r/t rides better as far as smoothness, but it just doesn't have quite the sporty feel of a Gen 1 L. Take it into a turn and it definitely does not have the stiffness. These are just my observations though. I really think ya'll should find a Gen 1 to take for a test drive. Erik D. '94 white lightning '01 white GT

Reply to
Erik D.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Pretty interesting. I didn't realize there are two compressors. Is the same true for stuff like power steering? How do the power brakes work if the ICE isn't running? Lots of interesting things to consider.

Although I'd think the bottom line is that maintenance and repair costs will be through the roof compared to what most of us drive now. Personally, I'd prefer a vehicle with a single source of power rather than multiple powerplants just from the point of simplicity.

Joe

"Erik D." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net:

Erik, what are the differences between the Gen 1 and 2 Lightnings? And when did the Gen 2 come into being? Thx.

Joe

The term poasting is used in many NGs, I do many posts and have for several years, and do know how to spell. Regarding the hybrids, they should be redesigned in the near future if they are to be a viable product. Good Day.

Aghnis

Reply to
aghnis

?

The practice of quoting is used in many NGs....

Reply to
John C.

Check some far out groups, like alt.alien.visiors, etc.

Aghnis

Reply to
aghnis

course.

ZW,

The 1st generation Lightnings really do handle well, and I mean well. You wouldn't think so by looking at one, but they do. As good as a 'Vette or Viper, no. As good as an older Fox Mustang, yes. Ford really did there homework on that truck.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L