Ford reacting to the Hemi

Maybe (before it streets a 6.2 litre) Ford should consider the gas price issue we now face? Chrysler is notorious for having terrible timing as far as car intros go. Their 300 Hemi may fall off the sales map unless that lifter disengagement system actually works to produce significantly better fuel economy.

Reply to
Richard

Howard Mora

With all due respect, please leave the 'tree huggers' out of it.

There is no reason one cant generate plenty of horsepower without belching huge amounts of unburned fuel out of the tailpipe. My guess is that a stock 65 mustang in good running condition would probably put out

5 to 10 times as much emissions as a new cobra. A car in poor running condition is much much worse.

When I was a kid in southern california in the late 60's and early 70's it hurt to breathe. I am very thankful that newer gasoline burning cars are much cleaner.

Howard Mora wrote:

Reply to
steve

I expect we will see the return of smaller engines with forced induction (i.e. turbos and superchargers). This gives economy when you need it and power when you want it.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

The K car? The mini van? The PT Cruiser?

It does work... 28 mpg highway.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

High insurance rates also played a part, as did the baby boomers growing older and starting familes.

The "tree huggers" went after them all, not just the muscle cars. And for good reason, because the old cars were toxic polluters. With all the cars that we have on the road today, if every one of them emitted the same level of pollutants as the old cars did, our kids would be going out to play wearing a deep sea diver's suit and air tanks.

Gas prices are really not that high. We've just been spoiled with stable prices for the last decade or so. If the prices would have slowly risen with the inflation rate for the last 10 years, we wouldn't have even blinked when it hit a two-dollar average.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

steve wrote

My guess is

You need to add at least one zero to those numbers. One hundred new cars doing the quarter mile side by side would put out less HC, NOx, and CO than one oldie sitting at a stop light.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

And, likewise, it would 100 new cars to equal the aura surrounding that oldie. Or maybe they'd still fall short.

Pollution. What goes up must come down. At some point the particulates we spew into the air settle or are washed back to earth, to mix in with all the other crap too heavy to become airborne. Air pollution is nothing compared to the injurious by-products vomited out by modern industry. It is the price we pay for not being cavemen anymore.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

You made that up.

Reply to
Joe

No, I swear we ain't cavemen anymore.

Reply to
CobraJet

"Rated" fuel economy is a worthless figure. Show me "observed" fuel economy numbers.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

Rich,

This is true, kinda like gross horsepower figures.

You'll be glad to know then that they're finally looking at revising their testing procedures.

I miss quoted the 28 figure. It's actually EPA rated at 25 highway /

17 city.

Here's C&D clip on the new hemi and it's fuel economy figures.

Reply to
Patrick

LOL!! Sometimes I wonder though, some people act like cavemen.

Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Ugh?

Reply to
Garth Almgren

"Garth Almgren" wrote

Unga Bunga, Me Scott, Ford me like.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I took delivery of a 2005 GC Limited w/ HEMI(R) MDS. I am not pleased and not sure i want to fight it out with the dealer and chrysler or not.

Upon leaving the dealer: engine light came on and stayed on. Hesitation during normal exceleration. Dealer kept truck for 1.5 days and had the hole top of the motor apart and the chrsyler engineers on the phone. They chalked it up to a chafed wire connected to the MDS system. well i got my new jeep back and im very very upset.

yes it has monster power but it has these hesitations throughout exceleration that drive me nuts. They are not obvious jerk u back and forth hesitations. They are an unevenness in applyed power through exceleration. I HATE it. makes me feel like its not put together correctly. My wif has an escalade with a 345hp engine that is smooth as silk through power application. My HEMI is more like a 2 stroke kawasaki as it has high spots and low spots in power application from

1700 all the way up through 4000rps. I'm sorry guys im sure my terminoligy is not the best. I'm bummed. I love the truck. just started searching the groups to see if anyone else has the same problem.
Reply to
Tigger