Ford tries for blandest, ugliest vehicle in the World

It's hard to go bankrupt without help like this.

Rich

A logical extension of what happens when "big govt." and "green" dabble in the auto industry: the putzes take over the Big 3. We let it happen...and we deserve the results.

Reply to
TM

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I sort of like. Seems to be a practical alternative to SUVs for people that need that sort of thing but want better fuel economy and don't need to 8,000 lbs.

I can remember when Ford introduced the original Taurus and Sable - lots of people called them ugly at the time.

Time will tell. I see lots of Scion SBs running around, and Honda Elements. The Flex looks better than either of those and with an MSRP under $30k it seems a decent bargain (again for anyone who needs a vehicle that large).

Do really think it is ugly compared to the large number of SUVs, Crossovers, and mini-vans on the market? It certainly is not the blandest, ugliest vehicle in the world - in my opinion (which I value highly).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I don't see anything that wrong with it. Looks fairly decent, no weird lines or bulges, and has fairly decent proportions. I think it could be hot rodded and tricked a bit and look even better, but it's not too bad the way it is.

Dan P49Y83+

Reply to
Dan

I'll add my support to that angle. It's as if someone at Ford said, "Let's look around and see what niche vehicle is attractive and kind of popular, and make our little van-like transport module fit that visual mold. Hm. Mini Cooper? Give it a shot."

Not that I'd ever choose a car for reasons of appearance.

-- Frank ess S197 convertible; exception that proves the rule.

Reply to
Frank ess

They should call it the new Ford POS

Reply to
Rolf

At least it is not an Aztec. It seem to have very good space utilization too.

Rolf wrote:

Falcon Guy

Why didn't you just go to the source?
There's nothing new here. The Flex has been shown for quite a while. I don't know about bland or ugly (some folks will tell you that the new Corvette is ugly, too), but I see an updated station wagon with more utility than the old ones ever had.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I like it.

Mark C.

source?

Updated modern station... yup, I agree.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If this was labeled a Pontiac Aztec or an American badged vehicle, it looks ugly. If Honda put a label on it, the auto "critics" would call it a beauty.

Whatever. If gas doesn't stabilize in price, nobody will be driving any of these vehicles anyway.

Reply to
Kruse

I think the buying public is in the mood for something they perceive as practical.

Problem with Flex is that - unlike Honda and Scion - it's HUGE. Base model weight is nearly 4900 pounds!!!!!

We'll see, but looks like shades of Pacifica to me.......about as in step with the times as the new Lincoln MKS that requires premium gas.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click
.

The Element is an abomination. I hate any vehicle that has as an exterior panel, ugly black plastic.

Reply to
Rich

Well, apparently despite gas prices, hybrids are getting bigger. But one person I know labelled the Ford a "bread delivery truck." I think I said that about the Chrysler PT Cruiser and it sold...

Reply to
Rich

CR claims a curb weight of 4150 lb for the Flex. This over 300 pounds less than the Toyota Higlander which is a close competitor (but thousands more expensive when similarly equipped, and smaller too). The much smaller Honda Element has a curb weight of 3650 lbs.

Lots of vehicles "require" premium fuel, many sold by Toyota / Nissan / Audi / Cadillac....

I suspect the MKS will run fine on regular (with reduced fuel economy and power).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

They come fully painted now.

Here's exactly -- color, trim, year, etc -- what mine looks like.

Patrick '93 Cobra '06 Element

Reply to
NoOption5L

Not bad, if you consider Nissan's new _2-seat_ sports car -- the GT-R

-- weighs 3,900.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

..

AL over at albasani just sent me your actual ip address. from that, i've been able to find an email address, and of course, you isp contact info.

you'll find it all, along with your HOME PHONE NUMBER and HOME ADDRESS, posted to a newsgroup near you

you'll just have to figure out which newsgroup it is. HAHAHAHAHA.....

Reply to
Blue

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:c1dc36bf-3fe0-40a1-95a5-2d28593a2332@

79g2000hsk.googlegroups.com:

Suddenly, the Challenger doesn't seem quite as fat... ;)

Reply to
Joe

Flex mileage: EPA rating is 17/24 with FWD and 16/22 with AWD.........I don't know how that compares with mini-vans and other competition.......but it won't have me running down the street to get one.

MKS premium fuel: yes, I see it's only 10.3 compression, so the computer should be able to adjust to regular (but my Mustang gets all

300 poinies on regular all the time....I tried all fuel grades and there is no difference).

I had one of the older Chrysler 300s with the V6 and the owners manual spelled-out how much hp on various grades of gas.....no difference around town, but always put premium in for the mountains and you could feel the difference.

I luv the local tv news.......every time the price of gas goes up, they trot out the same old dialog about how to save: "avoid jack rabbit starts", "buy your gas in the morning when it's denser", etc., etc. And they still give the same advice from 1950 about premium gas: "don't waste money on premium gas - keep buying lower octane gas until your engine starts to ping". Yeah, and take your car in for one of those $79.95 tune-up specials for new points and plugs. timing and carb adjustment! (so why do we believe what they say about anything else?)

Reply to
Itsfrom Click