ford up to it's usual marketing....

This is typical of why I am upset with ford, their usual build

12, let people fight over them marketing.

Ford seems to be way into building/marketing cars as instant collectables in recent years and there is no end in sight.

Reply to
Brent P

The point is they won't keep making them, so there won't be anything better to replace them to drive the price down of the older ones. It's the selling of instant collectables.

I am not saying they cannot be found for sale, but that they are marketed as instant collectables, not cars to be driven, cars to be stored away, cars that aren't supposed to devalue much if any. Cars that get a huge premium over sticker when new and are unlikely to ever fall to sticker.

The 1970s were a different era, Ford sold every pantera they could. If they could sell more they would have built more. Just like the cougar I looked at last week, less than 2000 made I found out later. Not something I liked, but it's rare because people didn't order many like that, not because ford marketeers woke up and said, build 1900, not one more. Panteras were also driven as a rule rather than put into zip lock bags.

I can go out an buy all sorts of older 911's right now easily. Last one I saw for sale was half the price of a new mustang and I think the guy was asking too much for it. That's my point, Porsche doesn't set out to make collector items generally speaking, they make cars. They make as many as they can sell and they have new generations every few years. New generation comes out, old generation becomes more affordable.

I am just annoyed that ford seems to be really concentrating on marketing cars as instant collectables... the (mustang) cobra isn't that special that it should be treated like that, it's a higher model mustang, it should be built to demand. But for dealer fun and games it only goes to 'special' dealers who then only can have a few who then try to get premiums above sticker etc... (I haven't shopped for a cobra in a long time, maybe that part has changed due to the economy)

The reason ford is saying 4500 and no more GTs is strictly marketing... They want to sell the car as a collectable more than as their premier showcase sports car as dodge does with the viper. Maybe it's because I would like to pick up a Ford GT in a few years when it would be something buyable like untold numbers of porsches, ferraris, etc as new models come out and before they stand the test of time to earn a spot as a collectable.

Reply to
Brent P