Ford vs Chevy

Car Engine HP MPG Ford Mustang 4.6 300 17 Chevrolet Corvette 6.0 400 18

Something is wrong with this picture, maybe price should be added to even things out.

But then I might have to include weight.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

While your at it, throw in torque, aerodynamics and gearing, too. On second thought, strapping the kids to the roof of a 'Vette would probably nullify any aerodynamic advantage. ;)

Our "company car" (nudge,wink) is a C6. The way it loafs along in 6th gear effortlessly, I bet it could get some great mileage....If I were so inclined. :D

-- John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

Or a brain. America's Sports Car & the car that defined the Pony Car genre were never ever intended to be compared or even go head to head.

The only car that Ford ever intended to go up against the Corvette was the First Generation T-Bird and they dumped the idea not because of slow selling T-Bird sales, but because of slow selling Corvette sales. They wanted to get out ahead of the power curve as they didn't think there was a market for an American grown Sports Car and they thought the Corvette was going to tank.

The true head-to-head GM/Ford Pony car was always the GTO & the Mustang until the F-bodies came out some three years later. Now fast forward 4-decades and the F-Bodies are dead and the resurrected GTO is an Aussie import that dealers pretty much have to wrap up in a pretty bow to give away. Why; who the hell knows? The first iteration didn't have the right styling clues is my opinion and that just killed it out the gate.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Heh, loafing is definitely the correct term. Whenever I drive the C6, I pretty much ignore 6th gear, but it must be great for a long highway runs. 6th gear in my A6 is a lot more useful for everyday driving, but not nearly as tall as the C6.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

How about the savings for that 1mpg compared to the difference in car price. Tell me how long it would take to break even ? nuff said.

Reply to
RT

Wait ten years and then check the prices.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

What is wrong is you need a clue. You are comparing a two seat sports car with a 4 place pony car. Compare the Vette to the viper or the Ford GT Compare the Mustang to the Camaro. Oh wait, you can't GM doesn't make it anymore.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Said the Camaro to the Mustang, "Awl be bach". Oh, wait, that was Gov Arnie said that. Sorry.

Seriously, I'd bet >What is wrong is you need a clue.

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.
Reply to
Spike

I thought it was Linda Hamilton??

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.
Reply to
Spike

Linda Hamilton was the "Terminator" chick. I musta got her mixed up with the "Escape From New York" chick.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

There ya go..... Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.
Reply to
Spike

Who the hell buys either for their mileage? Or even cares?

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Are they really remaking that movie? It was gawd-awful the first time around and most remakes are worst then the originals.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Yes they are, and in time for Halloween! And nearly all sequels are flops as well.

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video. http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/davescar_7_11_05_002.jpg
Reply to
Spike

Geez, well at least I don't go to the movies anymore. Adrienne was a tad of babe in her day, but aged badly. Who are they putting in the reprised role?

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Not sure. I think someone new. I just caught a short blip of the ad. Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video. http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/davescar_7_11_05_002.jpg
Reply to
Spike

Who knows, but when a 2000 convertible Corvette with 365 horse is getting 29 miles per gallon on the highway, now that is impressive, I don't care if you are a Ford or Chevy guy!!!

Reply to
351CJ

About the MPG my Taurus will do. I'd drive the 'vette to... it's usually just me in the car during the day.

A friend of mine in the photo lab business drove Corvettes for over 25 years as "company" cars for courier service among labs & between cities. Pretty good MPG, nice ride, good return at trade-in time(not sure if he leased or purchased). It was tough to see him drive it all winter though through slush, ice, & salty roads around upstate NY.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Which is about what my 91 GTA got on the highway with the TPI Corvette engine. That was an auto (no other choice that year) with OD. Around town, while it still wasn't too bad, it wasn't real great either.