Fox body Mustangs and ...

After reading many posts referring to the Fox body, I was curious, did some investigation on the internet, and discovered that my 84 Mercury Capri RS 5.0 is indeed, a Fox body. Looks like a Mustang, but with a front air dam and a "bubble back". I don't drive the vehicle more than 200 miles/year, and it lives a very sheltered life in my garage. It still has less than 70,000 miles on it, and everytime I look at it I say: "Damn, that's a fine looking old car!"

Just musings from an old fart, Dick

Reply to
Dick R.

"Dick R." wrote in news:5v6dnZYZKtT29LzXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.visi:

Actually, the Fox PLATFORM (correct term) debuted in 1978 with the Fairmont.

Ford/Mercury cars that used the Fox platform"

Mustang - 1979 - 1993 Capri - 1979 - 1986 Fairmont - entire run Thunderbird - 1980 - 1989 Cougar - 1980 - 1989 LTD (small) - entire run Zephyr - entire run

Many parts will interchange between these cars.

I have 2 of them - a 1980 Capri, and a 1983 Mustang GT. We affectionately refer to them as the "four eyes."

vb.foureyedpride.com

Come join the Fox party!

Reply to
elaich

My Capri used to be a "sixeye", with fog lights mounted very low in the air dam. The fog lights were eventually destroyed by pebbles and other debris on the road. I removed the fog lights and I still have them, but it might be difficult to find new lens glass. I'll join the party!

Thanks for the info, Dick

Reply to
Dick R.

Are Capri fog lights any different from the Mustang GTs of the same era?

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I don't know about the Mustang fog lights, where they were located, or availability of replacement glass. My Capri looks exactly like the one on this website:

've only seen 1 other Capri like this since I drove my car off theshowroom floor in 1984, and I've never noticed any Mustang with a similarfront air dam and fog lights. Dick

Reply to
Dick R.

Beings this post came up, I thought I'd chime in. Just today, I got my '78 Mercury Zephyr Z7 up and going. Got the carb rebuilt and burned out the 10 year old gas. (Ever smell pure varnish going through a combustion chamber? No problem with skeeters!) Put in

10 gallons of fresh gas and gave the car some exercise. The car is a 302/C4 combo with 95K original miles. After a few tanks of gas, I'm going to put on a genuine dual exhaust with the Motorsport double humper tranny crossmember in place. This one is an ex-Texas car that has no rust. Look out chebies. This old grandma car might surprise you....
Reply to
Kruse

Well, if the Capri fog lights are rectangular, that answers the question. The Mustang's are round.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Yup they're rectangular.

Reply to
Dick R.

Mustang and Capri foglights were rectangular up to 1986, for '87-93 Mustangs they were round.

mkl '86 Capri 5.0 5spd

Reply to
Mike Lenker

Okay, that makes sense, given Ford's penchant for interchangeable parts. Out of luck at both 50Resto and Mustangs Unlimited, though. That might be one of those junk yard specialty parts.

:()

Reply to
dwight

The round fog lights were also used on Rangers. I found them on eBay.

Reply to
me

website:

I've only seen 1 other Capri like this since I drove my car off the> showroom floor in 1984, and I've never noticed any Mustang with a similar> front air dam and fog lights. The lights were made in France by Marchal and used on Mustangs from 1979 to 1986, and some T-Birds and Capris. Blue Oval has them NOS but not cheap.

The front airdam as used on the 1984-1986 Capri was very similar to the type first used on the 1979 Indy PaceCar, as well as the 1980-81 Cobra and 1982 GT. It was an evolution of the styling theme that first appeared on the 1978 King Cobra. The difference being the upper half that was modified for the more formal look of the Capri's grille and lighting bezel.

1979 Indy PaceCar:
1982 Mustang GT:
rd
Reply to