Front Disc Brake Kit for 1966 Coupe Info

I am looking for advice as to which disc brake conversion kit people recommend for my 1966 mustang coupe.

It has a 1986 302, T5 trany & posi rear. I don't know what internal mods were made to the engine, other mods are alum intake, Carter 4bbl, headers/dual exhaust, MSD ignition.

Existing brakes are drums all around with original type torque thrust rums (14") with a non-powered single-stage master cylinder.

Thanks

Reply to
Mike B

You could go with any of the prime aftermarket kits, Baer, SSBC, etc. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages, however, these, in my opinion, are so minor as to be ignored. Or you could go with the Granada swap. I kinda favor the SSBC. I added the power system as well because my 65 is a daily driver. If you go that route, you may need a vacuum canister if you are running a hot cam. That can be added in after the brakes are in and you determine the need. Make sure tou get an ADJUSTABLE proportioning valve (with a gauge is a nice touch) so you can balance the brake pressure between front and rear.

My 65 had OEM front disc rear drum, but they were scavenged over the years so they had to be replaced. I'm quite happy with how they work now using aftermarket.

Reply to
Spike

Depends on what your goals are. For a reliable and safe daily driver, the SSBC kit is pretty good. But if you also plan on upgrading the front suspension with a MII kit, struts, or whatever, then you're better off with the whole package. I like the Fatman kit. If racing is in your future, pay carefull attention to class rules.

Reply to
.boB

Agreed. Fatman produces a very good kit. But that's pretty big bucks for the whole package. If you can't afford to go the whole hog, some things can be done in stages with separates.

For my daily driver, in order to make it easier to park, stop, etc, over the manual steering and brakes, I just went with:

- SSBC for the front brakes and added the power,

-RRS for the rack and pinion steering using a Concept One mini reservoir pump.

-Flaming River Tilt column with integrated cruise control

-And, at least for now, retained the original coil spring/shock setup.

Of course, the entire front suspension was rebuilt with new parts using poly bushings, KYBs, etc.

Reply to
Spike