FS: '93 5.0 - South Florida

Damn....

If you weren't 1000 miles away I'd be handing you the cash already.

That's easily a quick $4000 sale up here in MA at this time of the year. Good lookin' car.

Reply to
John C.

"John C." wrote in news:dMxak.94$Z11.21@trndny05:

Thanks, John. You know, you could always spend the difference on a one- way ticket and drive home. ;)

Reply to
Joe

Looking for opinions...

JUST PRETEND....

If a guy in Wilmington, DE was interested in a car like that, what would be a good way for a guy to get a local (to the car in S. Florida), neutral, mechanic's opinion to review the car, and find out anything that might be a problem that I wouldn't see. I have my guy locally who does this for me, but I wouldn't fly HIM to S. Florida...

Reply to
Jim C

Hey guys. Just looking for an opinion. What would be a good way to get a trustworthy local mechanic to evaluate a car like this? I don't think I don't want to fly my mechanic from Wilmington to S. Florida...

Reply to
Jim C

Jim C wrote in news:9abd8949-ab23-420f-8b8b- snipped-for-privacy@x35g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Since I'm the original owner and I know the car's entire history and I have almost all the receipts and paperwork for just about all the major stuff, I could tell you just about anything you wanted to know.

Of course, I'm not a professional mechanic, but after living with the car for all of its life, I have a pretty good feel for what's up with it.

For instance, the fuel pump is original. It's a bit louder than it used to be, but it's been that way for a good 6 or 7 years now. Does that mean it'll go soon? Who knows. No mechanic will be able to tell you for sure.

An alternative is to hook up with someone local, then have them give it the once-over. That said, unless they start ripping into stuff they probably won't be able to tell you anything that I can't anyway.

Reply to
Joe

I would buy it, put in a new rebuilt engine, and buy that KB blower for sale in this newsgroup put that on top. $3,300 for the engine and $2,400 for that blower. One nice, very fast, kick ass, car.

That interior looks perfect.

1993 5.0 8#KB
Reply to
Dudly

"Dudly" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.x-privat.org:

snipped-for-privacy@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com.

Any AOD'd melt in about 10 seconds behind a fresh 302 sporting a KB. Two options would be to convert to a Tremec 5-speed or just go with a LenTech street/strip unit. I'd guess that the price difference between the two wouldn't be that much.

I once had plans to get a crate motor and a LenTech, but those never materialized. In its present shape, I figure around $15,000 would put the car back close to showroom. $10k for the drivetrain, and $5k for the rest.

The interior's got a few issues - the mirrors in the visors don't light up anymore, and the ashtray cover doesn't open and close as smoothly as it used to. The plastic holder around the driver's seat belt is starting to crack, and the rubber seals around the doors are cracked/split in a few places. No leaks though.

Reply to
Joe

Michael Johnson wrote in news:ZcSdnRpvfp5QcvfVnZ2dnUVZ_r snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Congrats on the KB. Yes, as soon as I lowered the price below $3k the e- mail inbox is burning up. Only trouble is scheduling time for people to come look at it.

Reply to
Joe

I figured you would get a lot of replies and inquiries. May you can block out four hours on Saturday and tell them all to come then and the first one to hand over the cash gets it. My guess is it will be gone in the first 30 minutes.

The funny thing about the blower was I got a response from someone that was part of what looked like the old Nigerian scam. They wanted to send a certified check for $7,200 (probably on a foreign bank or funded with a stolen credit card number) and then send the excess money ($7,200 minus $2,400) to some chick in North Carolina! I may have been born at night but it wasn't last night.

When the Mustang is gone are you still going to hang out here?

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Sad day, Joe. End of an era. That car looks about new on the inside, and the outside looks pretty damn good, too.

Somebody is getting a flat-out steal.

Back in '87 or '88, I bought a 1984 version of TFrog (used and abused). After three heart-breaking years (and three quick speeding tickets), I sold that car off to the first $3,000 that came knocking. And I got it in cash, too, which didn't hurt. But I was happy to see that one go.

As you know, TFrog is hardly a spring chicken at this point, but I still can't imagine parting with it. I guess I'm getting older, too, and stuck in my ways. I feel your pain, and wish you many years of Subaru joy.

dwight (It's a Subaru, right?)

Reply to
dwight

Michael Johnson wrote in news:KOGdnSlYGYjOGPbVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

We were out for a few days, but I just sold it today - a guy came over from the west coast with a trailer, spent a good hour and a half scouring over it, and bought it cash. Told me it would make a pretty good 9-second car. I asked him to keep in touch and send me pix etc. when he got it finished.

Well, it's gone and I'm hanging out now...

Feels weird to be Mustang-less though. First time in fifteen years.

Reply to
Joe

"dwight" wrote in news:xuqdnR-rVYE-hvHVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Of course pix don't tell the whole story. There are a bunch of pissy things wrong, like the inoperative visor lights, jiggly ash tray cover, broken driver's door lock solenoid, etc. Not to mention a bunch of scratches, scrapes, dings, etc. that the car's collected over time.

I got cash today for the LX, but I still have mixed emotions. One part of me was very sad, watching 15 years of history drive off on a trailer. The other part of me was happy with a big, fat fistfull of hundreds, and an empty garage space.

The Subie's actually my son's car, but I certainly wouldn't mind having it. AWD, 220hp boxer 4-banger, 5-speed - tons of fun. My daily now is my '03 Dakota, which is nice and comfy with plenty of torque to keep me happy.

Reply to
Joe

He will be doing a lot of mods if he plans on running at a track. Roll cage, new rear setup etc. and drive train mods from front to rear.

It wouldn't be the same around here without you.

I'm glad mine didn't sell. I spent some time this weekend putting on the Cobra upper intake and it felt good to work on it some. I am scouring ebay to get a cheap stock AC engine bracket. Parts for the Fox cars are getting scarce and expensive. I am evaluating where to take it next. I thought the 427W was where I was headed but I have a new B50 block sitting on a crate in the garage so I am milling around a 327 stroker and just live with 300-325 rwhp. Then do some MM suspension mods.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Well, that's all to be expected. These cars are getting long in the tooth. TFrog looks best from about fifty feet away. Even so, with all of their faults, a good running example of the Fox Mustang for a mere $2900 is a steal.

And another part of you will always want another Mustang. This was your comfort zone, with many happy memories that will haunt you forever. It's why I get all misty-eyed every spring, thinking about buying another motorcycle.

The only newsgroup I see that might be of interest to you and your Dakota has something to do with pictures of a Dakota.

Fanning.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Michael Johnson wrote in news:-5KdnYKTEPAAEezVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Depends on who you ask. lol!

Yeah, I guess most of the aftermarket companies are now concentrating on the 4.6 block. Now that 302s are becoming more scarce, the mod motors have become the standard.

Sounds nice. When'd you get the B50? I remember you talking about it but I didn't know you actually got one..

Reply to
Joe

"Joe" wrote

Rare? They built those blocks starting in the early sixties and can still get new blocks today.

Scott W. '68 Ranchero 500 '69 Mustang Sportsroof

Reply to
Scott W.

That goes for all of us old timers.

I just noticed it recently when I became more interested in tinkering with the car. I rarely see Fox Mustangs on the road in the Washington, DC area anymore. I couldn't even find a bone yard around here that had a 5.0L AC bracket.

I have had the block for years. They are a little stronger than the stock blocks. They have about ten pounds more metal in them that is placed at points to increase overall strength. It would be a great candidate for a 327 stroker as it is machined already. It Think that is the way I'll go with it. Maybe I'm getting old and don't really want the mega power I thought I did. I think 300-325 rwhp/rwtq is enough to keep me happy nowadays. Plus, I could always throw a blower on it later. :)

Reply to
Michael Johnson

"Scott W." wrote in news:S9GdnQuIFtFLsu_VnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Not saying they're "rare", just saying that there are fewer 302s on the road for aftermarket companies to feed on. Now they're concentrating on the 4.6s.

Reply to
Joe

"dwight" wrote in news:4PidnWKT2sbAz-_VnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Based on the replies to the ads, I've found that Mustang's aren't that special to most people. The ones that do favor them want 5-speed coupes or "specialty" models like Cobras or triple white ones. However, there was one kid who wanted it bad but didn't have his license yet (or any money). "I've got my permit though!". LOL!

Based on how I feel about my old Sportster, you're probably right about the Mustang. I still want another bike, although it'll be a water- cooled cruiser if I ever get one.

She's way too young anyway. :p

Reply to
Joe