fuel mileage and long distance trip experience with 2003 GT vert

I just did some extensive MPG testing on my `03 GT 4.6 vert auto (bone stock with about 10k miles on the odo) and just thought I'd share it. I recently went on a 4,700 mile trip and carefully measured the mpg during the entire trip. Air conditioner was never used, top was down maybe 50% of the time. Total average for the entire trip was 23.1 mpg. The car seems very sensitive to speed. When I was averaging 65 mph, the mileage was closer to

25.5 mpg. When I was averaging 85 mph, the mileage was down closer to 20.5 mpg. Of course mileage will decrease as speed increases with any vehicle, but the difference with this Mustang is greater than the difference with my other V6 cars. For instance, my `96 Monte Carlo (3.1 V6) will average about 34 mpg at 65 mph, and maybe 31.5 at 85 mph. Just wish the Mustang had a larger fuel tank. When averaging 85 mph, you need to fill the tank about every 230 miles or less. With other cars I own, I can go over 400 miles easily before needing to fill up... pretty big difference in range. I started getting blisters on my hands from squeezing the fuel pump level. One opinion is that the Mustang GT gets fairly poor mileage compared to its performance output. Seems that Corvettes get about the same mileage (23 mpg range), and they are running 5.7 liter 350 HP mills. And other peppy V6 cars that are not too far behind in performance compared to the Stang GT are getting closer to 30 mpg. In sum, I am concluding that the mpg to performance ratio of the Mustang GT is on the low side. Car sure handles great though... makes 90 mph feel like 30 mph. Car ran great the whole trip. Trunk is real small... even for two people, I had to carry a certain amount of things on the rear seat since the trunk was packed full. Keeping things on the rear seat can be a problem in a vert... stuff either flies out at speed or is prone to getting stolen if you leave the car alone even for a moment with the top down. Next time I plan to obtain some type of large duffle bag that can be kept on the rear seat to hold various items... can be strapped down with the rear seatbelts. Otherwise, things like hats, jackets, maps etc get sucked right out at 85 mph when the top is down.
Reply to
Fred

Fred wrote

My 99 Corvette gets 28-30 mpg at 70 on cruise. Just under 500 miles per tank

You'll get better mileage with the top up, I average 22-24 in my 2002 GT coupe.

Walt

Reply to
Walt Boeninger

It's also been said for years that the Mustang has the aerodynamics of a brick. My '89 GT averaged 16 city/28 hwy and once got almost 32 mpg on one highway tank. The '00 GT only got 17/24 and the Cobra gets 15-16 city and got 18 on it's only long highway trip.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Hmm, on long trips doing about 85 I definetely get over 22, more like

24 if not higher. Even during my daily drive I get between 20 and 22 (mostly freeway with no stops) City is a whole different story. This is an 03 Cobra.

Rein

I only had 1200 miles on it, and the trip was only DC to Philly so some city driving was also involved.

Reply to
WraithCobra

To further fan the flames, I have a 95 T-Bird with the 4.6 V-8. On a recent drive from Sacramento CA to Phoenix AZ by way of Las Vegas, I averaged 26 mpg at an average speed of 75. While it is mostly a downhill run, the numbers are consistent in that driving 75 mph on the interstates in AZ I still get 25 mpg. It is a pure stock car to boot. Around town driving, I get 350 miles per tank (18 gal). So it looks like the weight and aerodynamics are what affect your mileage. In my old 83 GT I used to get 22mpg in city and 25 on the highway. That was with the stock engine. It is being rebuilt and will be back on the road soon.

Respectfully,

David Eaton

95 Blue Bird, stock 4.6 83 Blood Red GT, being modded up now...
Reply to
David Eaton

ummm...

  1. verts' even with top up dont get as good mileage as a HT

  1. TBird mileage doesnt count... MN12 was built as Nascar template... like the Monte Carlo... but that's what makes the TBird a great touring car.. touring in the classic sense.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Hey Fred, I might have a little solution for your problem with things blowing out of the back, if you are willing to fool with it.

's a soft tonneau. It covers the entire back seat so anything you tuckunder it is relatively safe from the wind, and hidden from sight if you arejust running into the store to pay the cashier.It takes a couple of minutes to install, but I really love mine. You canfind them on Ebay and online, they run between $100-$165 depending on howlucky you get.

The only other drawback to this is something that happened to me recently. I decided that since I had a fresh wash & wax and a full tank, I would take her out for a run into town. It was a little overcast and I thought to myself what a beautiful day it was. Halfway into town, I heard thunder (going down the 4 lane) and in just moments it was pouring rain. I drove a couple of miles with the rain mostly blowing over the top of the car and ducked under the awning at a gas station and take the tonneau off. There was a trucker there, he laughed and pointed upward and said "It's all your fault!" I laughed with him, as I put the top up and looked at the crud all over my poor clean little car.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top

"Fred" wrote in message news:k4KWc.31932$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net... | I just did some extensive MPG testing on my `03 GT 4.6 vert auto (bone stock | with about 10k miles on the odo) and just thought I'd share it. I recently | went on a 4,700 mile trip and carefully measured the mpg during the entire | trip. Air conditioner was never used, top was down maybe 50% of the time. | Total average for the entire trip was 23.1 mpg. The car seems very | sensitive to speed. When I was averaging 65 mph, the mileage was closer to | 25.5 mpg. When I was averaging 85 mph, the mileage was down closer to

[...]
SVTKate

Why shouldn't it be considered? The reason I stated it was that the T-Bird had the same engine and it weighs much more than his Mustang so something looks amiss....

As far as the touring goes, a T-Bird with a good suspension upgrade can handle almost as well as a Mustang with a similar suspension upgrade. Yes it is a very comfortable road car, but that doesn't mean it can't carve the turns when it needs to.....

And no I am not saying it can out perform a Mustang, the wheelbase difference ensures that, it can not turn anything like my 83, but it's handling would surprise many!

David

Reply to
David Eaton

yeah... but you missed my point. On a road trip, the TBird may well get better mileage because it's more slippery.

David Eaton opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

Isn't that a Tonneau (spelling) cover? Have one for my '75 MGB convertible. Works Great!!

Reply to
joe

Just got back to this...

Well you are right, I did not think of the aerodynamic differences between the T-Bird and the Mustang. Thanks for pointing that out.... and yes the T-Bird is a great road car. Just modded it with 17" wheel and new shocks and struts and progressive springs. This dropped it about 1.5 inches and made a world of difference in the handling. I am waiting to see how the mileage goes tough. But it has me thinking of subframe connectors, K-brace and more..... But then it would be too mch like my stang......

David

Reply to
David Eaton