fuel problems on a 64 1/2

Hi I own a 64 1/2 with 289/4-barrel carberator. I cleaned the carberator, so it has completely been dismounted. Thing i missed was a torsion spring originally mounted on the float shaft according to the manual. I thought that since they were not there when i took the floats off i would not miss them. One thing i have to mention is that the secondary throttle plates had been shutdown and blocked, i made them to work again. Now after (or while) starting the engine, fuel poors out of the top of the carberator vent (mainly at the secondary side). Its really a lot of fuel coming out so i have to shut down the engine before it catches fire.

Is there something i did wrong or overlooked or is it simply because these springs are missing? That would be strange because the problem was not there before.

Help is appreciated... Thnx Chris

Reply to
Chris Bus

If fuel is coming out the vent it means that your bowl is overflowing. This can be caused by a few things. Improperly set float level. A float that isn't well... floating! ( punctured or saturated) or a sticking needle valve. Regardless it sounds like the carb should be rebuilt and all the proper parts reinstalled and the all the levels reset to spec. The situation you have now is an extreme risk for a fire as you say. Good Luck HTH StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

can be caused

Reply to
Chris Bus

Sticking open. Gunk in it whatever... I'm just throwing them out there. Then I'd say your float level is wrong thereby not closing the valve hence the overflow. There you fixed it. Your shift key seems to be inoperable too ;^) StuK

caused

HTH

Reply to
Stuart&Janet