Fuel Pump

Given the mileage of my car I am probably well beyond the safe zone for relying on my stock pump and want to know if someone can tell me if there are any caveats of adding a high-volume pump to a stock engine. I plan on either rebuilding later or dropping a crate motor, at any rate there's a snowball's chance that the engine will be stock, and really don't want to drop the tank again.

Any suggestions? Or if someone can tell me that it's really not as big of a hassle to change the fuel pump, I can probably see my way to get a stock pump if that is the more prudent route to go.

Thanks!

Reply to
91 Red GT

I asked this question when the stock pump on my 88GT Convertible went out. I didn't hear anything negative about adding a high volume to a stock motor. I went ahead and installed a Walbro in tank 255LPH unit. I have been running it about 6 months now and all is well.

Regards, Andy

Reply to
Andy Budwill

Hassle is a relative thing. After doing three in a three week period I got damn good at them! The big pain is doing it if they have a lot of gas in them. If it is fairly full make sure you have help. Also get a new gasket ring and if you live in rustland a new retainer ring is a good idea too. I don't see any reason not to do a high flow pump now other than the added wear it will receive while it is not really "needed" but on the other hand buying a stock one now and changing it out later will leave you with an extra stock pump you don't need that you went to pocket for. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Thanks all for the input! Given the answers I'll probably go ahead and get the high volume. Stu, gotta say been there done that with some of the projects I've done with my car.

Thanks again!

Reply to
91 Red GT

only disadvantage I ever heard is that the fuel heats up more because a lot if gets pumped around (returnline). This is what Kenne Belle claims. Not sure how much truth there is to it. I'd install the 255 if I were you. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein