Fuel Pump question

What's the stock fuel pump ? Is it in or out of the tank? Which are better or does it make a difference? What sort of time/mods am I looking at if I go from in tank to out of tank or vise versa? I have a choice of Holley 255 LPH external pump or the same in take pump.

It's for an 88 5L

Thanks Scott

Reply to
Sonicmonkey

Your stock pump is in the tank. It flows 88 lph and is perfectly adequate for a stock 5.0

As to what type or capacity pump that depends on the engine horsepower and the injectors needed to feed that horsepower. Adding a bigger pump than is needed will do nothing but deflate your wallet, consume power, and heat your fuel.

My 331 produces over 400 hp and a 190 lph in-tank pump supplies all the fuel it needs.

If you NEED a 255 lph pump then you will also need bigger fuel lines, fuel rails, and regulator to support that amount of fuel flow.

LJH

95GT
Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Reply to
Sonicmonkey
255 lph is way overkill on anything short of a race motor. As Larry said, his 400hp beast only needs a 190 lph pump. If you get a bigger pump, it's just going to waste most of its time pumping the gas back through the system and into the tank.

Upgrading over a long time period, I would say to pass on the bigger fuel pump. If you *must* go with something bigger, get something like Larry has... the 190 lph in-tank pump. That will last you quite a long time and will provide upgrade overhead for years. It also works just fine on a stock engine provided that the regulator is up to the task.

JS

Reply to
JS

Reply to