Fuel Pump Wont Pressurise

Lately when I go to start my car the fuel pump will not turn on. I know its the pump because I cannot hear the 2-3 second hum it should make. Sometimes it will go after I turn the key from on to off several times, other times it takes 5-10 minutes for it to finally go. It seems worse when cold because in the afternoon it is not usually a problem. The pump it self seems to work okay after it finally turns on, but has cut out two or three times since it started acting up. The engine is from a

91 5.0 and has been placed into a 66.

Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? Please describe throughly as the relays and such are not located where they would be on a 91.

Reply to
Evan

Evan opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Well that makes it even better! You're going to have to find the EEC relay, make sure it comes on, then the fuel pump relay... probably close to the ECM, Do you hear a click when you turn it on? Do you have an external fuel pump? If you do, start there and see if it is getting power and ground

What do you mean "cut out"? while driving?

Do you have a check engine lite? Does it come on with key on?? If you dont have a CEL, then you will have to look for another sign of life for the ECM, like putting a noid (injector test lite) to see if the injectors fore while cranking

The ignition key on, turns on the EEC relay, which powers the ECM which primes the pump for two seconds by switching on the Fuel relay

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The fuel pumps sometimes just wear out. I'm on my third one in my 88GT.

Reply to
KEITH MCCUMBER

did you check the fuel pressure regulator (a diaphragm on the fuel rail)

Reply to
WSPoisson